| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Electrical gremlins are killing my car  (Read 7185 times)
JMcD

« on: March 20, 2009, 09:18:44 am »

Hi,

New to the forum. You seem like a knowledgable bunch so maybe you can help.

I have a 1998 2.2 td espace.

Recently I've been having some problems as follows:

At xmas the engine water temp section of the dash stopped displaying but the oil level at start up still came up ok.

1 month later - I stopped the car and went back to it ten minutes later. I turned on the ignition to the point the glow plugs heat up, which worked. When it said OK I went to start and everything died. Absolutley nothing electrical worked. When I switched off the ignition a buzzer sound came from behind the dash. This sounded like a strangled warning buzzer. (I do wonder if it is a relay trying to operate but does not sound exactly like that either) Kept trying ignition and after 5 mins all was back to normal including the engine water temp comming back to life.

I drove around happily for another few weeks with no problem.

In the last week it has died, as before, several times. I can get the electrics back to life by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery but when I go to the start phase of the ignition all dies again ( not even the door locks work). It seems that after a few hours left alone the car will start but this may be coincidence.

At the moment it is at home languishing on the drive and is not reliable enough to get me to a renault dealership.

Anyone any clues as to the likely cause?

It used to be that you could buy a diagnostics unit from Gunsen that gave you the fault codes via flashing light combinations for cars such as ford sierra and vauxhall cavalier. Is there such a unit for the espace? I realise that this age of espace is not obd2 compatible.

Cheers John

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 11:06:32 am »

Hi
I have a 1998 tD Espace myself.

This scanner is suitable for the Espace 1998
Autel MaxiDiag FR704 French Airbag ABS Engine Scanner
can be found on E-bay at a price of 200 GBP

Hans
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 12:59:12 pm »

Hi,

(snipped list of problems)

At the moment it is at home languishing on the drive and is not reliable enough to get me to a renault dealership.

Anyone any clues as to the likely cause?

As they have a huge number of tiny computer like wires and electrical terminals, plus open connectors on the modern Renaults, which are are prone to poor corrosion, it may be simply be some poor connections, but it is almost impossible to diagnose these sort of things remotely.  You need to work on it directly...

It used to be that you could buy a diagnostics unit from Gunsen that gave you the fault codes via flashing light combinations for cars such as ford sierra and vauxhall cavalier. Is there such a unit for the espace? I realise that this age of espace is not obd2 compatible.

Renault have never been standards compliant, John, in my experience as a Renault RTE, so even if the code reader Hans suggests works, you may not be able to rely on it entirely.  If it helps, great, but it may not be an easy task.  Where are you?  I do mobile work and may be able to help, but I am busy the next few weeks.  Contact me directly if you need to. (redwood@matraclub.org.uk)

Roy

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:05:52 pm »

Hi
The MaxiDiag can indeed read and reset error codes on a 1998 Espace. I have tried it out myself.
However if the MaxiDiag can detect and eradicate electrical gremlins is a different question.

Hans
JMcD

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 04:35:52 pm »

Took the top off the dash today partly to replace blown bulbs, fiddle with the alarm sensitivity, stop some squeeks and find out what is bussing/ringing.

There is a black cylinder next to the main, green, connector in the console circuit board which is ringing when the ignition is off.

What is it and what is it telling me?

Cheers john
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 04:53:41 pm by JMcD » Logged
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:07:15 pm »

Took the top off the dash today partly to replace blown bulbs, fiddle with the alarm sensitivity, stop some squeeks and find out what is bussing/ringing.

There is a black cylinder next to the main, green, connector in the console circuit board which is ringing when the ignition is off.

What is it and what is it telling me?

Cheers john

Some picture would be a great help here, John...

Roy

JMcD

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 02:17:31 pm »

Hi Gents,

Got the wiring diagrams out and they suggested that the route of all evil was the ECU.

A trip to ebay and I have now fitted a second hand ECU.

It's starting consistantly again.

Incidentally, the cylinder on the dash curcuit board that buzzes is the lights left on alarm.

Why this should be the only operational electrical item when the ECU throws a wobbley I do not know.

Thanks John
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: