| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Front Green Stuff brake pads too thick?  (Read 18087 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 08:37:18 pm »

Thank you for sharing your experinces, Roy, it's always a pleasure to read!

I can follow your point in asbestos versus non-asbestos materials. I'm too young to having ever owned a car with asbestos pads, but I do remember how the trains started to squeal very loudly when they changed away from the asbestos containing brake components. Nobody raised the question about the increased level of dust, but back in the 80's everybody was afraid of asbestos, and while it wasn't a good experience to be standing next to a stopping train on a station, we had to accept it.

I'm afraid that the Green Stuff pads on both the Murena and the Espace do squeal Smiley It's a bit on-and-off, but they do. The Murena is worst Smiley All I have fitted have been with the red surface on top, so I don't know the old product. All Green Stuff pads I have used so far have been fitted at the same time as new discs, and all are still in good state. Even the rear brakes on the Espace.

The tape probably absorbs some of the vibrations and prevents most of it from being transferred to the rest of the suspension, but I agree it can never fix the actual problem with the air being trapped.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 02:22:11 am »

I'm afraid that the Green Stuff pads on both the Murena and the Espace do squeal Smiley
well, mine only occasionally did while bedding in - since then they have been pleasantly silent and hyper effective.

The tape probably absorbs some of the vibrations
You can in fact buy such "anti-squeal" tape from 3M, - but I doubt it has much effect, considering the pressure put on them. However, it may help to stop any rattle while brakes are not applied (e.g. when you drive over uneven surfaces)

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: