| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2001 dci power steering pump  (Read 5083 times)
brian

« on: June 04, 2008, 09:46:59 am »

hi , I no power steering today and a lot of oil all around the area beneath the top up container  and pump !! I put loads of fluid in and within minuits its empty again so without drying it all off I have not pin pointed where its comming from, If its the pump is it a job that a compitent diy  can do? or is it a garrage job? and once replaced is there any type of bleeding proceedure??? also if it is a diy job can anyone give me a few tips? is there any way to test if it is the pump or not as I am hoping it might be a hose?
thanks in advance
brian
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:03:59 pm »

If it is the pump Brian then it is easily replaced as it is very accessible on the top left of the engine below the power steering fluid reservoir. The biggest hassle... and not that much of one really... is that to make life easy to remove, and especially refit, the belt its best to remove the right hand wheel and the plastic inner wing panel (3 plastic retainers to pull out and one pop rivet to drill out and replace). Then with the sound insulation moved out of the way you can then get a 13mm on to the tensioning pulley centre bolt to rotate it to release belt tension.

However, with the volume and speed at which you describe that you are losing oil I would be very surprised if it was the pump. Pump shaft seals can fail but that is usually over a long period of time due to normal wear and you notice the pump body becoming increasingly damp but not oil flowing out in volume.

From what you describe I would guess that it's much more likely to be a hose that's burst or a union come loose. If you get the existing oil washed off then get someone else to turn over the engine whilst you watch for where the leak is coming from.... preferably with suitable clothing and safety goggles/glasses  Wink

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
brian

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:50:05 pm »

Thanks martin , it was the pump after all, had a new belt in the shed and labour was only 50 quid so I let the garage do it, they used to be a renault dealer so got all the know how and equipment but dont rip you off like a main dealer , pump was 117+vat pullet was 27
I could have done it but wasnt too sure how to tension the belt Tongue at least i got a guarantee now!!  Wink cheers anyway
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: