| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ESPACE 2.0L 8V AUTO JEO 1998 WARNING LAMP  (Read 11740 times)
paul-g

« on: July 02, 2008, 11:06:36 am »

Hi all we have a warning on the dash, an amber oil can icon comes on for a few seconds followed by the word service then it goes out and all is normal, we are not sure if this is a service interval reminder or a fault, we have just bought the car and  do not have the handbook for a reference,  according to the service book which we do have it was last serviced on 7/6/07 at 83k it has now done 88k, if this is a reminder how do i reset it as i will service it myself?
Can anyone advise about changing the auto transmission oil, i looked at some info on this site which was extremely helpful, thanks guys, which says it has to be plugged into the xr25 so am not sure if i can do this myself, finally any ideas where i can get a drivers handbook? all help will be greatly apreciated, many thanks in advance regards Paul.
renaultbiler

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 02:08:08 pm »

Hi, this is a warning for oil pressure, this icon followed by SERVICE means according to the handbook that there is a fault on the circuit for checking oil pressure, if followed by STOP it is problem with oil pressure. I did however experience the SERVICE part of it at startup after changing oil and filter (as it then might be low oil pressure the first second or two). Try to change oil and filter and see if this helps, if not i would get the oil pressure checked at a Renault dealer to see if it is ok or "just" a problem with censor circuit.

This Espace have no service interval reminder at all.

I have a handbook available in good quality pdf file, it is nearly 9 Mb and if you have an email account to recieve that size i will be happy to email it. It does not cover the 8 valve engine, but everything else should help you fine (body, dash etc).

Do you have an auto box on it?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 02:12:49 pm by renaultbiler » Logged

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
paul-g

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:04:44 pm »

Hi renaultbiler, thanks for the quick response, will get the oil pressure checks done, as for the download i dont think i can handle that size but thanks for the offer, i'll check if i can get one from Renault, and yes it does have an auto box, regards Paul.
renaultbiler

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:24:10 pm »

I'm Afraid you cannot get the handbook from Renault anymore, ebay or scrappy is the best shot.

Made you a .zip download with handbook and autobox refill manual + engine manual, approx 12Mb:

http://www.adrive.com/public/f37c5eb0bdbd7c16a26ff5f7ce6c433ef562b2e8136cecab9c82786848aace14.html

You will need anyone with an XR25 or CLIP to refill it as the diagnostic tool is used to check the gearbox oil temperature (60*c) on when to open the oil top-up plug and allow the excess oil to flow out for 20 secs.

If you get anyone with another tool that can connect this autobox and read the gearbox oil temperature, that would also do fine.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:29:37 pm by renaultbiler » Logged

2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 11:48:26 am »

Hi all we have a warning on the dash, an amber oil can icon comes on for a few seconds followed by the word service then it goes out and all is normal, we are not sure if this is a service interval reminder or a fault, we have just bought the car and  do not have the handbook for a reference,...

First, when you switch on the ignition it runs through a full fault test, so all items should light up to show they are actually working. So the word Service coming on briefly should be normal like all other indicators.

Second and very important is that all Renaults use the word Service incorrectly (bad translation from the real meaning and our common English word for maintenance)  The 'Service' word coming on does not mean anything to do with servicing in the terms of maintenance!  It means 'Attention there is a fault' (the specific fault being indicated by another warning light) which you need to attend to, or get attention for.  So whilst the oil pressure is low just after starting and until the light goes out, the Service light should accompany the low pressure warning light, as it would do if the pressure dropped at any time.

Only the newer model like the Espace IV have a service interval indicator and that is a mileage countdown built into the computer matrix display accompanied by a spanner symbol.  Espace III do not measure service intervals or usage, so you can see that the word Service does not relate to maintenance schedules at all.

... according to the service book which we do have it was last serviced on 7/6/07 at 83k it has now done 88k, if this is a reminder how do i reset it as i will service it myself?

There is none and you cannot reset anything.

Can anyone advise about changing the auto transmission oil, i looked at some info on this site which was extremely helpful, thanks guys, which says it has to be plugged into the xr25 so am not sure if i can do this myself...

There is a setting which you can alter with the Clip or older XR25 to say the Auto oil has been changed but it is only a reminder really and has no real effect.  It would not matter if it was not changed.

However, if you change the Auto oil you need to be aware of the oil level procedure which is different to other cars.  You have to overfill the gearbox by around a litre, then run it up until it reaches 59 degrees centigrade (read on Clip) and then drain down via the inner sump plug until it stops running.  The point is the sump plug is actually two plugs - an inner and outer.  Remove outer to drain.  It has a tube of the correct length that is inside the box.  When you remove the inner plug, the oil can only drain down to the top of that tube, which gives the correct level inside.  This is why it has to be at a set temperature as the fluid expands with temp. and also the engine must be idling too.  As you should know, when you 'drain' an auto you do not in fact drain it completely, since the torque converter retains most of it's oil.  When the engine is running this is topped up from the gearbox, so the oil level cold and not running is higher than when running (it drops as some of it is pushed into the convertor).

Roy

paul-g

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 03:06:20 pm »

Hi Renaultbiler, thanks for the files you sorted for me, fantastic just what i was looking for.....regards Paul.
paul-g

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 10:03:27 pm »

Hi Roy, thanks for the reply, with the info from yourself and renaultbiler i now have a good understanding, however the key on check sequence you describe does not occur, what i get is three dots for a few seconds then an ok message followed by the clock and temp display, on reading the handbook i interprit this as correct but i do find it strange that i do not at least get a conventional red oil and battery light which go out upon start up if all is well?.
With the gearbox i'll see if a friends scanner will read the gearbox and do it myself.
Many thanks again for your input guys, regards Paul.
ps just noticed an error on my vehicle description it is a 1999 model registered in june i apologise if this has caused any confusion
renaultbiler

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 11:04:37 am »

The startup with 3 dots followed by OK in the Multi Function Display states that selfcheck procedures validated ok (engine, airbag etc), then it goes to clock and temp. Still, an fault message may appear after OK. Other than that it is no conventional lamps on the JE, it is all a hidden part of the selfcheck and do not warn you unless it is a fault -so it does not display any icons or fault messages as part of startup check. 3 dots (waiting...) and OK (check done without faults) is correct!

If you get a fault message in the Multi Function Display this might be combined with any of the "normal" lamps that you see to the right of it, for example my self leveling system alerts with a sound and "service" in MFD while the self leveling indicator are lit up if the car is too low on startup (small leak) but as soon as the level is ok all fault messages disappear.

You also get low petrol warning symbol in the MFD along with a sound and "service" - they do have a strange relationship with the word "service" on Renault Smiley

If you have a close look on the temperature gauge it displays the oil level for a few seconds after startup (upto 09/2000 mod), then switches to engine temperature. That is all the engine info you get unless a fault appears.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:16:43 am by renaultbiler » Logged

1982 R20TX 2.2
paul-g

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 11:23:59 pm »

Hi renaultbiler, thanks for confirming that, its nice to know how the system works especially when this type is new to me, the oil warning light i described earlier has not come on since so i will leave alone for now, it may be the fact the car was unused for a while before i bought it and the sensor was a bit lazy.
Thanks again regards Paul
paul-g

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 09:07:29 pm »

Hi all to follow up on the automatic gearbox oil change, can you advise me on the oil type, i know the oil should be the elf or mobil dexron 11 type but would it be ok to use a dexron 111 synthetic oil such as shell donax tx,  the reason i ask is i have a supply of this oil and would be able to do a few oil changes to flush it through the converter etc........ cheers Paul
renaultbiler

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 09:53:50 pm »

Never use anything but exactly whats recomended by Renault on their auto boxes !

1982 R20TX 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: