| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Air-Bag warning ~ 2.2dCi  (Read 46259 times)
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 03:00:58 pm »

Thank you for sharing your experiences.
I checked those connectors on my vehicle but all are in good condition with no corrosion.

I thought that I had cured the problem but I am still getting air-bag problem warnings occassionally.... but less frequently than before and seem to come after the vehicle has not been used for a few days.

If I don't find any other problems then maybe I'll have to change the air-bag computer... but that also means having it re-coded into to system  Sad

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 08:58:58 am »

If I don't find any other problems then maybe I'll have to change the air-bag computer... but that also means having it re-coded into to system  Sad

I have replaced the air-bag computer, but only after the clip (renault diagnostic system) refused to talk to it. A new one cured that problem, but the engine wouldn't run with the new computer. Why? There is a built in "engine shut down" system in the air bag computer. It's designed to shut the engine off in the event of a crash - and prevent restart (a safety precaution since you don't know what has been damaged). This feature has to be turned on in the air bag computer (using the clip) before it supplies the "allow engine to run" signal to the ECU.

Roland, I think you will benefit from a new computer. I know it's costly, and it could actually still be working all right, but you won't know until it's too late, and a new one fixed the "Renault tried to read AIRBAG computer but got no response" problem for us. We still get warnings from time to time, but shutting the car off, repeatedly raising and lowering the driver's seat, then turning it back on usually cures it.... Yes, I really have to do those connectors one day! Cool

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Martin Tyas

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 10:29:13 am »

Good to be armed with the information regarding the engine shut down.... thanks Anders.

Just wonder if BBA Reman would/could repair one... they seem to offer a fix for most other vehicle electronic systems.
If it comes to needing the computer sorting then I think I'll give them a shot first and that would also hopefully avoiding having to pay out yet more for the re-coding on a Clip.

I hope that I don't have to replace it since it is VERY expensive for what it is.... but then, as you already made the point, what price do you put on potentially saving a life or two?

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 11:19:52 am »

If it comes to needing the computer sorting then I think I'll give them a shot first and that would also hopefully avoiding having to pay out yet more for the re-coding on a Clip.

I've got my old one stuffed away in my basement somewhere. If you want to try to have it fixed, I can send it to you. There's not much fun in removing the one you have in the car to send it off for repair, as the car will be non-running until you get it back.

But thinking about it, the situation may be different for the DCI. As far as I remember from reading the wiring diagram (good for falling asleep! Wink ), the DCI has an intertia switch in the engine room instead. In that case you should be able to run without the air bag computer...?

- Anders

Used to own:
Martin Tyas

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 02:45:49 pm »

I've got my old one stuffed away in my basement somewhere. If you want to try to have it fixed, I can send it to you. There's not much fun in removing the one you have in the car to send it off for repair, as the car will be non-running until you get it back.

Very kind of you to offer Anders.... thank you.
I will in the meantime try to exhaust all other possibilities and if the outcome still suggests a computer fault then I will first speak with BBA Reman to explore that option and come back to you if they think it's feasible.

But thinking about it, the situation may be different for the DCI. As far as I remember from reading the wiring diagram (good for falling asleep! Wink ), the DCI has an intertia switch in the engine room instead. In that case you should be able to run without the air bag computer...?

You are correct Anders..... the inertia switch with reset button is located just behind the fuel filter..... but whether it will still run without the computer we would have to see after unplugging it.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Roland1975

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 03:53:43 pm »

My airbag always gives a failure version when I start the car followed by the service message. When I understand the manual correctly there is only one line which signals the airbag failure. This line is called in the manual the "airbag diagnostic warning light" (number A2 in chanpter 88. I do not think there is intelligents in that signal. For the more simpler dash (without the fancy display) they connect this signal directly to a warning light instead of the computer of the dash (I do not know for sure ... this last statement). There is also a B1+B2 line...but to my opinion this is connected only to the diagnostics socket.

only one time in half a year it signalled first ok on the dash and after half a minute again the Airbag warning.

My car is a 2.0 petrol from 97 march ... perhaps it is different for this model
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 03:56:22 pm by Roland1975 » Logged
Roland1975

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 06:29:43 pm »

I bought a second hand airbag module this weekend. I will try it after I have my car back from the garage ... had some damage on the side of the car ... hit a deer in Denmark while driving back from my holliday in Sweden ... I was happy the car only had minor damage ... insurence pays the bill Smiley
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:31:30 pm by Roland1975 » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:51 pm »

I bought a second hand airbag module this weekend. I will try it after I have my car back from the garage ... had some damage on the side of the car ... hit a deer in Denmark while driving back from my holliday in Sweden ... I was happy the car only had minor damage ... insurence pays the bill Smiley

Wow, where did that happen? It's not somthing that happens a lot around here. Good that nothing serious happened to the car. I hope the poor animal didn't suffer too much.

Good luck with the airbag module.

- Anders

Used to own:
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 02:27:25 am »

I hope the poor animal didn't suffer too much.
How DARE you refer to an Espace as an animal Anders! - tsk tsk ! :-)

Roland1975 , it is a shame you already checked the connections under seats (which sense if anybody are actually sitting in the seat, and thus arms trhe airbag). They are prone to create problems for the airbag system, and even the replacement connector is of poor quality.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 03:56:14 pm »

I hope the poor animal didn't suffer too much.
How DARE you refer to an Espace as an animal Anders! - tsk tsk ! :-)

I was thinking about the poor DEER, Lennart! Tsk tsk!

We all know that our Espace's are true ladies: Give her plenty of attention, and she MIGHT just pay you back with lots of fun (and plenty of kids!), but forget them for a moment, and they'll give you headaches and troubles... Grin

- Anders

Used to own:
Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 07:40:48 am »

Not that I have an Espace, but just wanted to mention I have a diagnostics unit that will read and clear error codes on french cars from 1996 and newer...
That's also the airbag and abs system.

If anyone needs to have their car checked, and would like to save the cost of going to the dealer let me know  Grin
Of course of most use to Danish members living near Copenhagen or Korsoer.

By the way, some places in Denmark you do see deer's quite often. I know someone who was hit by a deer earlier this year.
And yes I mean "hit by", as the deer ran into the side of the car while driving on a small country road  Wink
Deer didn't seem to be hurt, but the car got a few dent's at the sidepanel.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:43:24 am by Waldo » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

Not that I have an Espace, but just wanted to mention I have a diagnostics unit that will read and clear error codes on french cars from 1996 and newer...

I bet it can't read an Espace! Wink but thanks for the offer, let's try it as soon as possible! Smiley

Used to own:
Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2008, 06:21:29 pm »

Are the Espace worse than other french cars?
I know that most french cars are a pain in the back side, but this one is specific for french cars (Renault, Citröen and Peugeot).
My HDI engine doesn't work with most units (as it's not OBD compliant) but this diagnostics unit works ok...
Roland1975

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 02:02:04 pm »

The accident did happen on the E47 60KM before Rodbey at 1:30AM. Was doing a 130 KM/H suddenly a big deer with antlers in the headlights. Hit it on the antlers with the left blinker ... after stopping on the side of the road ... I could see the damage ... blinker broken ... front bumper broken ... piece of grill missing ... but it also ripped of the left side of the rear bumper. We have been very lucky we could drive home with the car.
I did try to find the animal ... but I did not find ... calling police was also not possible ... no network coverage ... the emergency pole did also not work .... I decided to drive to the ferry and had my first good look at the car in the ferry.
Car has now been fixed ... 2500,- euro ... insures pays ....
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: