| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Engine cleaning system  (Read 5247 times)
renaultbiler

« on: June 09, 2009, 06:08:08 pm »

On our 24v there is one hydraulic lifter clicking, this appeared after i changed to Castrol synthetic oil last year. I have been living with this clicking but now that the gearbox is new the sound of this lifter stands more out since everything else is more quiet and smooth than before.

I have added some Molly hydraulic valve additive earlier but that showed no effect at all.

I have now been recomended a engine flush with Tunap ( http://www.tunap.com/en/ranges/automotive/products/p327.html ) - naturally i am a bit concerned over these cleaning stuff - will it cause even more problems.....?
They use it all the time at my friends workshop, but still i am not convinced.

What are your oppinions on this ? Any experience ?

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 07:47:12 pm »

My opinion is: Leave it! The better oil is merely making the sound easier to hear. Is it only ONE lifter clicking? My new engine clicks too, though a bit less than the old one.

I have a bunch of old lifters from my old engine, and they are barely worn. They still have their mirror finish on the outside and no wear to be felt on the surface. They have small visible scratches on the photos below, but these are VERY light, and this engine had covered 190 kkm before failure. These are very durable parts, but difficult to replace (cams need to be removed) and I seriously doubt that any cleaning fluid can fix or even improve a worn lifter. Additionally, synthetic oils have a cleaning effect by itself.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
colin4255

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:55:27 am »

I'm with Anders on this one. There is no 'witches brew' of any kind you can put in the engine that will make the noise go away. The better quality oil you are using has just made the noise sound a litle worse - strange though that may seem.   If the car is running OK just leave it.

I had this happen years ago on a VW Golf Gti and I poured all sorts of stuff into the engine that was reccommended to me. I had a garage say they could use flushing or cleaning oil to un-block the valve lifters as they were gunged up etc etc... End result of listening to and following all this sage advice?  The engine went bang! So my advice is leave it well alone and turn up the stereo!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: