| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Golden Oldie  (Read 4854 times)
Volusia

« on: October 22, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »

Hi All
Just bought an Espace, 1995 vintage, as a second car for when the inlaws visit. She has had one previous owner and has done just 25000 genuine miles, all the receipts and test certs etc.
She drives, looks and feels like a new car. I drove her from England to our home in France, a distance of 800 miles, just two days after buying and the drive was excellent, even through Paris. What a great vehicle, if I'm honest I prefer driving the Espace to my two year old saloon car.
It has the Cobra alarm fitted which seems a bit of a pain, having to lock the car after filling with petrol only to unlock it again to go through the sequence but other than that a lovely car.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:26:44 am »

Hi All
Just bought an Espace, 1995 vintage, as a second car for when the inlaws visit. She has had one previous owner and has done just 25000 genuine miles, all the receipts and test certs etc.
She drives, looks and feels like a new car. I drove her from England to our home in France, a distance of 800 miles, just two days after buying and the drive was excellent, even through Paris. What a great vehicle, if I'm honest I prefer driving the Espace to my two year old saloon car.

Congratulations on your purchase.  Yes, these are great cars and nice to drive, reasonably quick and quite economical too.

It has the Cobra alarm fitted which seems a bit of a pain, having to lock the car after filling with petrol only to unlock it again to go through the sequence but other than that a lovely car.

It is not the Cobra alarm Volusia.  The Renault immobiliser on this age of car works in conjunction with the Plip remote control.  So when you unlock the car using the remote it also unlocks the immobiliser.  One problem here is that if the remote fails you cannot unlock the immobiliser and therefore cannot start the engine.  There is a way to input the code manually but usually the Renault dealers are not allowed to give out the code (for security reasons obviously).

The other point is that the immobiliser has a 'fail safe' system whereby once you have unlocked it, you have 20 seconds to start the engine otherwise it re-locks itself.  Again this is a security measure.  Imagine walking away from the car and forgetting to lock it, or accidentally pressing the remote when near the car and unlocking it.  Even though you are unaware of the car being unlocked the immobiliser will set itself after 20 seconds and the car cannot be driven away.

So that is why after filling the fuel tank or leaving it more than 20 seconds with the engine off, that you have to press the Plip twice - once locks it, and the second unlocks it again but the important bit is that it unlocks the immobiliser.

Roy

Volusia

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:55:20 pm »

Many thanks for the information Roy!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: