| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: power steering loss dci  (Read 5792 times)
scootir706

« on: August 07, 2008, 06:17:50 pm »

ok went into a shop everything working fine ....came back 5 mins later and no power steering Undecided........check the usual suspects..drive belt and fluid...both fine.........small amount of fluid below pump on top of alternator.with cap off power steering reservior and engine running there is no fluid circulating.pump is not noisy and at a bit of a loss as to why it would suddenly just stop.any ideas would be welcome as next step is to change the pump.
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:46:20 am »

It's only an outside chance if you are not at the same time getting a charge circuit warning but before  investigating the power steering system it may just be worth checking the crankshaft pulley.
I lost power steering a couple of months ago and found that the rubber damping ring that's bonded between the pulley and the centre boss had disintegrated. Because of the flange on the outer part of the pulley it's not possible to see if the anti-vibration ring is still intact but by taking some belt tension off with a 13mm on the tensioner pulley bolt you can feel if the pulley is loose.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
scootir706

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:21:54 pm »

Hi Martin,thanks for the tip but the pump is def driving and alternater is charging fine.ive ordered a new pump as i think this is most likely candidate.I think i got not a bad deal with an exchange recon pump with a 2year guarantee for £100 delivered.If anyone needs the phone number just give me a holler.

Ian
renaultbiler

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:29:45 pm »

You did have some noise problems in that area in a previous post - could this be the same source.....
I think going for a new pump should solve it as the power steering pumps on these seem to fail frequently. Mine failed after about 80.000km and symptomes was - power steering - no power steering - power steering - and so on.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: