| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2.0l petrol 1994 Family - Clutch Problems  (Read 5223 times)
Maceman

« on: August 27, 2008, 12:40:40 pm »

Hi,
New here, so hopefully someone can help!?

Clutch cable snapped on my Espace last week, bought and fitted a new cable (manual adjusting), but had some trouble getting the adjustment just right.  IIt's reasonable now, but am experiencing some related problems:

- A single thump/knock sound from the engine when starting up
- Noise, juddering, possible slipping in 1st and 2nd gear
- Increased vibration at speed
- Not very smooth when re-engaging clutch after shifting

Is this just incorrect clutch cable adjustment, or maybe a problem with clutch itself or transmission?

Any help very much appreciated!

Maceman
paul-g

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:08:43 pm »

hi, it sounds like you have a problem with the clutch, does the pedal feel stiff? if so the the release mechanism could be binding which could cause the cable to fail, or the clutch itself, binding or buckled driven plate ? you will have to remove the gearbox to check this further, just recheck the cable adjustment though, set it so you can pull the outer cable about 5mm from the abutment on the bracket this wil give it enough freeplay so you can rule it out, good luck, Paul
Maceman

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:53:52 pm »

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for the advice.  I'll make sure the cable is set correctly and go from there.  I adjusted it again last night and it's better but still not right.  I think you're right that there is another problem.  Will let you know what I find.

maceman
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: