| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Back on track: Thermostatic switch for the electric water pump  (Read 3341 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« on: September 17, 2008, 11:58:56 am »

With the corrosion problem professionally fixed by fellow Matra owner Frederik Moes, and the car passed MoT without any comments, I'm ready to work on the Weber conversion again.

As I'm taking the thermostat housing off anyway to fit the extension, I'm also going to fit the electric water pump I have been lying in a box in my basement for more than a year now. This involves a modification to the thermostat housing to accomodate a thermostatic switch to activate the pump, which I have now done:

The switch sensor is pushed through a crush seal in the brass adapter in the bottom of the housing. There's usually a blanking plug there, but I've drilled the hole out and cut a 1/2" BSPT thread to accomodate the adapter.

The pump will be fitted in the lower radiator hose in the front of the car. A relay under the dash will activate it when the thermostatic switch activates. I'll also fit an override switch. The thermostat is adjustable, and I expect that it will take a bit of experiementation to find the correct setting. A more elaborate solution involves discarding the mechanical pump entirely, but that will require a complete redesign of the water cooling system, and I'm leaving that for later!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:02:37 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: