| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Common failures / preventive parts replacements  (Read 111146 times)
lewisman

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 12:38:47 am »

I have stocked up on ball joints and track rod ends while they are still cheap and easy to get.

I also have replacement bearings but that is for two reasons:
1. I need to rebuild the rear trailing arms so might as well do the bearings at the same time
2. Everytime you need new discs you need to split the bearings and the seals are never as good once the bearings have been split.

A nice mod would be a hub that you could fit discs on without splitting the bearing (especially if it ment a"standard" disc could be used at the back!!) but I don't suppose that would be realistic........ Sad
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 08:33:39 pm »

And remember to give the bolts a good coating of anti-seize grease when you reassemble! Sad
murramor

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 02:45:57 am »

The spring platforms on the rear shocks rust through causing the suspension to collapse.  If this happens while driving it could be catastrophic.  My right rear collapsed while parked and I think at least 2 others on the forum have had near failures at least.  As the cars get older this should definitely be an item which is checked regularly.

Ron Murrell
Sydney, Australia
Titus

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 12:54:17 am »

And another. Reverse light switch. Got mine out of the gearbox whilst the engine was dropped through engine mount bracket failer. Getting the new one in with the engine in place was more trickey however. Anybody else?

1.6 Murena
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 07:38:42 pm »

While on the subject of engine mounts, I decided to check mine before setting off to the Wobbly Wheel next weekend.  I found that mine had had additional bracing struts welded on to the side.  Clearly a previous owner has had problems!  My spare gearbox has what I take to be the standard mount, but the bolts fixing it to the gearbox were secured with locking tabs.   Two different solutions to the same problem?
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 08:32:05 pm »

I found that mine had had additional bracing struts welded on to the side.  Clearly a previous owner has had problems!  My spare gearbox has what I take to be the standard mount, but the bolts fixing it to the gearbox were secured with locking tabs
I'm afraid we're gonna need pictures mate  Wink
Titus

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 08:51:47 pm »

I'll be very interested to see that at the Wobbly this weekend coming Peter.
Here is my engine mount bracket welded back together on the bench.

1.6 Murena
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 10:45:14 am »

Interesting.  Did it break round the holes facing the the camera?  If it did then I may have misunderstood the problem because that's not where mine is braced.  Sorry Krede, no pictures, I can only just see the one on the car, let alone point a camera at it.
Titus

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 09:34:07 pm »

Yep, right across the top as you suggest.

1.6 Murena
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 02:34:01 pm »

No-one so far has mentioned cables.  The most obvious one is the tailgate glass release cable which sometimes breaks and leaves you unable to get at the boot or engine.  If you haven't replaced it in a long time (many years) it will be prudent to at least check it if not replace it now.  It usually breaks just behind the handle where it is continually flexed.  All you need is a length of bowden cable around 8 foot (96") or 2.44m long.  The other cables that are worth checking/replacing are the throttle cable, choke cable and bonnet interlock.  This last one is one many forget and is often not working as it has been broken for some time.  The problem is that the bonnet will foul the head lamp pods if they are up and you try to raise the bonnet.  So if the head lamps are up, the bonnet release should be blocked.  This reminds you to lower the headlamps first.  I also once came across a car where the headlamps were down, but the bonnet release would not work, and it was blocked because the cable broke in the blocked position!  All that was needed to open the bonnet was to move the blocking lever back to allow the bonnet release to work.  This can often be done simply by pulling on the outer cable just under the front.

The throttle cable (certainly on the 2.2) is about the same length as the tail gate release cable, so I usually carry a length of bowden cable in the car which will serve as a replacement for either if one or the other breaks whilst away from home.  Carry a small carb. trunion to attach the plain cable end to the carb. and you don't need the special cable with the nipple.

Roy
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:28:40 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 12:36:13 am »

No-one so far has mentioned cables.
Very good point - I have had failures with them all, except for the boot release (so that's probably next :-) )

My heating bowden cable failed however because my radio installation came somewhat apart, and grounded itself via the cable ... which then got sufficiently hot to melt the nylon casing ... and fill the cabin with smoke (!), so it cannot really be attributed as a common failure for the car. But the others, - yes definitely.

My boot release has once got entangled in things I had in the boot, resulting in it being pulled halfway out of the right hatch release ... and this made it impossible to open the hatch.  Luckily, by spending about an hour trying, I managed to push it back in, using a piece of steel thread through the hole in the left rear light bay.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 08:07:13 pm »

I am a newbie to the forum, but have from time to time helped out Philbert restore his Murena. One thing I have noticed is that some folks have problems with the passenger side electric window. Before you go buy a new motor and switch, check the switch in the driver side. The power is routed from this switch to the passenger side. It took an hour or more of troubleshooting and dis/mounting the motor assembly, before I found that the wire had come off on the driver's side.  Cry

Matranaut par excellence Cool
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 08:30:19 pm »

Thats oh so true Weywadt.. AT LEAST me and Mr Dinsen have had that problem.
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 08:33:10 pm »

Check your fuel pump!
The brass pipes sometimes pop out of the pump, causing fuel spills over your hot engine!

Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 09:37:59 pm »

Been there done that... with a very hot engine as the result  Undecided

Check your fuel pump!
The brass pipes sometimes pop out of the pump, causing fuel spills over your hot engine!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: