| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Crankshaft locking method  (Read 7332 times)
sjguk

« on: September 09, 2008, 12:20:40 pm »

Hello everyone,

First post so here goes,

Could anybody tell me the best (safest) way to lock the crankshaft on a 2.2 dci engine as I have to replace the accesories belt pulley (rubber perished - dislodged belt). I have read the excellant post on this problem/solution and realise I have to lock the crank before applying (a lot) of pressure on the nut, but as I have never done this before I thought I would seek advice first.

Any help appreciated.

Stuart

2002 Grand Espace 2.2 DCi 'The Race'
1999 Grand Espace 2.2 RTX DT
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 04:39:49 pm »

Welcome Stuart

The proper method is to lock the flywheel using a holding tool on the teeth of the flywheel ring gear.
I've attached a photo of the tool made/supplied by Sealey for Renault diesels.

To gain access to the ring gear to position the holding tool you'll need to remove the black painted pressed steel cover plate from the lower clutch housing. It's almost semi-circular in shape and secured by 3 bolts... the plate also has a bracket used as one of the supports for the exhaust pipe from the Eberspacher coolant heater and you will also need to remove the nut from that in order to remove the plate but the exhaust pipe can stay in place.

Hope that helps

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Martin Tyas

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:51:25 pm »

Forgot to mention that you will also need an E18 torx socket for the crankshaft pulley bolt if you haven't already got that size Stuart. The bolt has a regular right hand thread so anti-clockwise to undo.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
sjguk

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 08:52:18 am »

Thanks Martin,

Looks like my toolkit will get a couple of new additions.
Have got to wait for the new parts I need as my local dealer hasn't got anything in stock, do you think it would be wise to replace the belt at the same time, mine has a frayed edge now where it came off the pulley and jammed against the side of the engine!!

Stuart

Martin Tyas

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 10:45:37 am »

do you think it would be wise to replace the belt at the same time, mine has a frayed edge now where it came off the pulley and jammed against the side of the engine!!

I didn't replace mine when my crankshaft pulley failed...... BUT.... there was no damage at all to the belt and it had only done 14,000 miles since being replaced.
Renault technical notes advocate replacing the belt if, for whatever reason, it has been removed.

Having asked how to lock the flywheel properly it appears that you like to do a job right and that being the case I would advocate replacing a frayed belt at the same time.... especially if you have every intention of keeping and enjoying your Espace for some time...... and it seems like you are a bit of a fan as you have 2 of them!!!

For info, I paid £17.20 + VAT last year for a genuine Renault accessories belt

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
sjguk

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 06:23:27 pm »

Yeah I think the belt will have to be replaced, another part to order in at the dealer - they don't appear to stock anything??
We are fans of the Espace, we bought the Grand Espace because we wanted the extra room behind the last row of seats, as most accidents are front/rear shunts we thought the space would give more protection, also helps with pushchairs etc. After we had been running the dt the gear linkage gave up the ghost, fixed that, then the dreaded clutch master cylinder went too. Whilst I was fixing that we bought 'the race' and then needed two cars, so kept the dt as well.
We will be selling dt soon as we only need one car now so dt had mot last week and only needed tyre and rear brake cylinder which I'm doing tomorrow. Am still a bit worried by the heavy clutch compared to the 'race', possible broken diaphram fingers?? Wouldn't like to sell a car with defects, not my way of doing things, but fear replacing clutch too big for my talents.

Stuart

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: