| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: gearbox oil ?  (Read 7015 times)
brian

« on: October 07, 2008, 11:04:36 am »

hi guys
can anyone tell me how to top my gearbox oil up on a 2.2 dci the race 2001 model? I lost some when the driveshaft popped out last week changing the strut bearing  Embarrassed!! not much just about 200 mil and it still drives ok but id rather be safe than sorry ? oh and what type of oil would be best? thanks
brian
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 01:02:56 pm »

The filler plug is located on the top left of the gearbox end plate.... it's a white plastic plug that looks a bit like a wing nut with a rubber sealing washer.
It is accessible with just the engine under-tray removed but you don't gain enough access to actually pour oil in... you would have to have a means of pumping it in. Also unless you have access to a vehicle hoist, or are of VERY slim build you would have a problem getting under the car whilst keeping it level so that you get the correct oil level  Wink
SO... the best way for the home mechanic to do it is to jack up the left hand front side of car whilst it's on level ground and after removing the LH front wheel, remove the plastic inner wing panel to expose the end of the gearbox and the filler plug is then very easily accessible. Before checking or topping up the oil level and after you've removed the road wheel, lower the jack until the vehicle is back on the level.

Unlike many gearboxes you don't fill it until oil overflows back out of a combined filler/level plug. The PK1 box when fitted in the 2.2dCi Espace requires to be filled with oil to a level no higher than 22mm BELOW the filler plug.
To measure the oil level I made a dipstick from a piece of wire clothes hanger but any bit of stiff wire would do. Make a 90 degree bend about 30mm from one end and then make a mark 22mm down from the bend. I made a finger-sized ring on the other end of the wire so that not only did I have something to hold it with but also so that I could make sure it was vertical within the gearbox when taking a level reading.

As for the oil.... it should be ELF Tranself TRX 75W-80 which is an extreme pressure, high performance synthetic gear oil and about £15 per litre from Renault but I got 5 litres for £23 from a local Total/ELF oil distributor when my drive shaft oil seal was leaking and I drained and changed the oil at the same time.

I must learn to take photos when I do these jobs then it would be much easier to share the procedures with others and also save time with having to describe it.... but hope it helps

Martin
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:39:30 pm by Martin Tyas » Logged

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
brian

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 01:45:53 pm »

:)thanks Martin , thats a great help , will follow your advice  Wink
cheers
Brian
colin4255

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:21:05 am »

Martin is right about the oil - ONLY ever use the right one. My local garage changed a leaking inner CV boot, lost some oil, then re-filled it with an oil that had the right API etc. Next day when it was cold I could barely get it into gear! We figured it out by asking the dealer. The gear oil is VERY specific!

Martin gives excellent instructions too! I saw how hard this stuff was to replace.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: