| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: New to forum  (Read 19226 times)
jdlfverified

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 06:54:32 pm »

Thanks Jon and thanks Anders for the offer.  I am really excited about driving the murena, specially now that tax season is almost over.  I have a 1963 galaxie convertible which is totally opposite of the murena.  Anders, just send me over your address (you can e mail me at jdlfverified@aol.com).

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 08:18:28 pm »

To the best of my knowledge Delorthoes or webers will fit the "S" manifold just as well! they should be easy to find.

If you decide to go for the single carb, I have a couple of spare manifolds... and even a carb (though it will need a MAJOR overhaul).
But I would recommend you stick with the twin carbs.. sounds a lot better.

Ps: It has been mentioned... but I would really recommend you check all parts of the ignition system.... especially the coils have been found to cause trouble.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 08:30:59 pm by krede » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 08:58:44 pm »

To the best of my knowledge Delorthoes or webers will fit the "S" manifold just as well! they should be easy to find.

Let's see. I'll give them a good checkup when I receive the carbs from Juan. If they are worn beoynd repair, we'll have to decide on replacements, but this car hasn't run that much, so they are probably just in need of a through cleaning.

If you decide to go for the single carb, I have a couple of spare manifolds... and even a carb (though it will need a MAJOR overhaul).
But I would recommend you stick with the twin carbs.. sounds a lot better.

Agree, and the twin carbs are also preferable for the sake of originality.

Ps: It has been mentioned... but I would really recommend you check all parts of the ignition system.... especially the coils have been found to cause trouble.

Again, I agree. Regarding the coil, you must be thinking about my troubles...! Wink I don't think coils are particularly problematic, but since a new coil is relatively cheap (and Juan should not have problems finding one - just pick one designed for electronic ignition), it's a good idea to replace it along with new plugs, distributor cap and rotor.

Another item that has given me problems is the fuel pump. Juan is probably still running the mechanical fuel pump, which is fine and reliable, so he should not have problems there as long as you can see fuel being pumped up into the filter when the engine is cranked.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 09:03:54 pm »

Again, I agree. Regarding the coil, you must be thinking about my troubles

When I ahd injection fitted It was found that my could was all but gone as well.
jdlfverified

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 04:14:29 pm »

I can't seem to attach pictures.  Help!!!
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 04:24:01 pm »

Try uploading the pictures to a 3'rd site such as "photobucket.com" and then use the link feature to post them here.. that works for me Smiley
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 09:57:26 pm »

I have tried and tried to get the car going but to no success.  I removed both solex carburators, cleaned them, but still no luck.  Should I just switch over to a one carb setup or does anyone have a set of good solex for sale?  I have followed Anders blog on the two setup carbs and it seems very dificult so I think that the best solution for someone that has very limited mechanical knowledge is the one carb setup.  I hate to give up on the two carbs. 

Hello Juan,

Can you give us the VIN (full 17 digit chassis number) please.  It starts VF853C...  This will tell us exactly what version Murena you have, since if it is a genuine 'S' there is a little more to the carburettor and vacuum system than other models.

Second, have you contacted the NAMR (North American Matra Register)?  There are guys with various cars all over the States, and I know there are some in Texas, and with a problem like yours, it would be much easier with someone who knows about European cars with carbs. to have a look at it directly than expecting accurate 'long range' remote diagnosis!

From what you have said so far, I can't even say whether your fault is actually with the carbs. or not.  So spending lots of money getting them shipped about to be checked and possibly rectified when you don't know for certain that it is the carbs. seem pointless to me.  When you say you can't accelerate, I think you mean you can't rev the engine with the car stationary in neutral, is that right?  Because to me saying 'you can't accelerate' means you are driving the car at a steady speed but it won't pick up and accelerate, which is a different thing entirely.

Also if you did change the twin side-draught carbs. for a single, twin-venturi down-draught carb. is not that simple and yes the inlet manifold is water heated for the down-draught carb. where it is not on the twin side-draught set up, so you need not only the correct manifold but a different water pipe under the manifold and two hoses...

However, going back to the problem, if you try to rev the engine and it dies, it could be a number of things, like ignition coil, amplifier, fuel feed, float levels, restricted inlet, etc. and it would be unlikely that both carbs. would be faulty or even in the same way, so if one was right and the other had a problem, you would not get the engine dying so easily.  The fact that yours does suggests the problem is not with the carbs. at least not entirely.

Contact me directly (roy@matraclub.org.uk) if you want more info. on NAMR or check my website.

Roy

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 08:47:24 pm »

I can't seem to attach pictures.  Help!!!

When typing in your post, there is (should be) a link called "Additional Options..." just below the entry box. If you click that,  it should reveal several options, - among them a field called "Attach" where you can select a filename from you harddrive. Having done so, the picture should be uploaded and attached to you post. Be aware that it will now take longer for the post to commit, as the picture has to be uploaded first.

Let me know if you still can't make it do what you want.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: