| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 1993 2.0 inj Espace barely starts  (Read 21768 times)
voyager

« on: October 25, 2008, 07:52:29 pm »

Help please.
My 1993 Espace 2.0 inj has never let me down, until now.
It was running fine then one morning a few days ago it started first time as always but after about 20 seconds it started to shudder and stalled. It was as if it had run out of petrol.
I put a gallon in and tried to re start. It does start but only with full throttle and then it runs so bad that it doesn't generate enough power to pull away. Taking my foot off the throttle causes it to stall imediately.
Below are the new bits fitted since.
Rotor Arm
Distributor Cap
Plugs
Plug Leads
Crank Possition Sensor (Old one was in a bad way with frayed wires)
Injectors

The fuel pump definately apears to work as I can put my hand on it as I turn the ignition on and feel it run for a couple of seconds.

To sumarise, It has a verry good regular spark, but although it will start it will barely run.

I've tried clamping off the fuel return pipe in case the pressure regulator is sending all the fuel straight back to the tank.

Could this be a faulty fuel pump ?
Does the fuel pump have it own pressure regulator built in ?

Can anyone give me any ideas please.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:53:35 am »

Help please.
My 1993 Espace 2.0 inj has never let me down, until now...

You may be looking in the wrong area.  You didn't say if you have an injection warning light on? (amber light lower right with the zig-zag symbol)  This should come on with the ignition and then go out when the engine starts.  The fuel injection system has a temperature sensor next to the temp. sensor on the right front of the cylinder head, for the computer and dashboard temperature gauge respectively.  This provides the injection computer with the information on engine temperature and allows it to control the additional air valve which regulates the starting and idling.  If the sensor or the air valve has failed, these can prevent the engine starting.

The valve can get clogged with carbon which prevents it rotating to open and close, and is easy to check - remove it from the vehicle and roll it back and forth between your hands quickly.  The valve should make a clicking noise as it rotates inside against the stops.  However, sometimes they can be free and still have failed - I had one on mine like that.  If the valve is stiff and clogged you may be able to clean it with some fuel, but as it is a sealed unit you can only do so much.  The plug is a 3 wire with spring latch.  Sometimes the spring has not locked on and the plug can come off.  The centre wire should have ignition voltage when it is switched on and the outer two wires go back to the computer as they are earth switched by the computer to control the valve.

The temperature sensor has a resistance that varies with temperature.  With the vehicle cold, what is the resistance?  It should be around 290 ohms at 20 degrees.  At 90 degrees it would be about 410 ohms.

The fault could also lie with the map sensor (absolute air pressure) or air temperature sensor, or throttle switch, or any broken or poor wiring connection but the most likely place to start would be the coolant sensor and air valve, and worth checking first.

Roy
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:56:45 am by roy4matra » Logged

voyager

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:16:05 pm »

Hi,
Thanks for the input. I've just fitted a new MAP sensor and no change. Im gonna check the other parts you mentioned now.
I'll post a reply with the results.
voyager

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:30:37 pm »

Hi,
Just tested the resistance of the coolant tempterature sensor and its resistance is 13k ohms cold. I asume that the car must think it's in the arctic and would prob make mixture way too rich.
Am I thinking right here ?
voyager

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:31:57 pm »

Hi,
Sorry foregot to mention no warning light on dash, but I dont ever recal having seen one.
voyager

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 03:54:30 pm »

Hi,
I took one of the pipes off of the idle control valve and it moves freely and if I rotate it by hand as I turn the ignition on it rotates itself OK.
I think that the throttle possition switch is prob OK as I have adjusted it's possition in the past to compensate for idling problems and it makes quite a diference to the idle speed so apeared to be working.
This car has always left a black sooty mark on the road under the exhaust outlet when cold and the plugs always run sooty. I guess that those two point towards mixture too rich in the past anyway.
It did recently pass it's MOT and although the MOT inspector did coment on the black sooty mark from the exhaust, the CO was fine when hot.
Would love to feel heat from this engine now as it's driving me crazy.
As a matter of interest do you know what the resistance of the air temp sender should be ?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 04:45:23 pm »

As a matter of interest do you know what the resistance of the air temp sender should be ?

0 deg C: 254 - 266 Ohm
20 deg C: 283 - 297 Ohm
40 deg C: 315 - 329 Ohm

... according to ETAI Revue Technique, Renault ESPACE depuis 1984 (great book if you know just a little bit of french).

Roy mentioned that the idle speed valve is sealed, which is correct of course, but with a little care, it can be dismantled and reassembled if you need to. Here's a photo of one I took apart on the 1987 J11 I used to have:

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
voyager

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:12:24 pm »

Hi,
Well, I bought a new engine management tenperature sender and fitted it.
Still the same.
What would be the possible efects of a faulty knock sensor ?
I seem to recal reading somewhere that a faulty knock sensor can cause severe retarding of the ignition timing. I've got a good spark but is it at the right time ?
I don't have a timing light and cant afford to buy one at the moment particularely as the cheapest I can find around here is over £40.

I guess that at this point I need to answer 2 questions.
1 - is the spark corectly timing
2 - is the fuel pressure right
voyager

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 08:50:02 pm »

Merely as a matter of interest the new engine management temperature sender straight out of the box has the same resistance as the old one
voyager

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 08:52:13 pm »

I foregot to mention not only is it the same resistance but the resistance falls as I warm it reather than rising.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 04:17:36 pm »

Hi,
Just tested the resistance of the coolant tempterature sensor and its resistance is 13k ohms cold. I asume that the car must think it's in the arctic and would prob make mixture way too rich.
Am I thinking right here ?

That is way too much resistance. and since you say later that it falls as you warm it, you have the wrong type sensor by the sound of it.  What was the Renault part number?  Later cars do have a reverse CTN resistance type sensor i.e. they start at high resistance and drop when heated.  The early cars have a CTP sensor with low resistance that rises with heat.  The V6 uses the CTN sensor and you may have been given one of those by mistake.

Note there are two different coolant sensors depending on the engine fabrication number, so can you please supply that.  It is on an alloy plate attached to the block near the exhaust manifold.

Roy
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:36:08 pm by roy4matra » Logged

voyager

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 05:51:49 pm »

Hi,
The details on the plate on the engine are as follows.
J7R 3 768
F446026

The oval plate details are as follows,
J636
23 720 061
TJ 577 E2
T014985

The new temperature sender does respong the same as the old one that has been on the car for some time.

Had a quick look at the knock sensor today, I didn't remove it but it does look verry old. I seem to remember reading that a faulty knock sensor can retard the timing.

As a matter of interest I tried using easy start direct into the air intake while cranking. It made no diference. The fuel pressure is good so it the compression. The spark is verry good. More and more this looks like something is causing the ignition timing to retard.

Paul
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 06:55:47 pm »

Had a quick look at the knock sensor today, I didn't remove it but it does look verry old. I seem to remember reading that a faulty knock sensor can retard the timing.

A faulty knock sensor can theoretically do all sorts of things to the timing, but you should be able to run the engine without it. I suggest you disconnect it for the moment. The ECU should detect that it is not there any more, and run with a fixed ignition advance curve. The engine should be able to run.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
voyager

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 12:31:51 pm »

Hi,
Many, Many thanks for the help.
This morning I disconnected the knock sensor and it sprang into life.
Slightly lumpy but it is verry cold out there and the engine was absolutely cold, plus no knock sensor.
I'll fit a new knock sensor asap.

Thanks again for the advice.
It's nice to see that there are genuine people out there who will take the time to help a stranger.

Paul
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 11:47:12 pm »

It's nice to see that there are genuine people out there who will take the time to help a stranger.

A stranger with good taste, that is :-)

But that is what this forum is all about. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the knock-sensor being the culprit.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: