| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Water pump flow rate  (Read 10660 times)
krede
YaBB God

« on: November 13, 2008, 12:20:40 pm »

Does anybody know the flow rate of the stock Murena 2.2 water pump?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 05:05:42 pm »

Probably beteween a good deal and a lot per minute, depending Wink The effectiveness of a stock water pump very much depends on the design of the rest of the cooling system and it's ability to maintain pressure in the engine block and cylinder head.

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 05:11:46 pm »

Probably beteween a good deal and a lot per minute, depending Wink The effectiveness of a stock water pump very much depends on the design of the rest of the cooling system and it's ability to maintain pressure in the engine block and cylinder head.

That was not the answer I was looking for.. I expected MORE from your "Nerdy-ness"   Grin
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 05:18:17 pm »

That was not the answer I was looking for.. I expected MORE from your "Nerdy-ness"   Grin

It's a nerds way of saying "I don't know and I doubt if anyone does" Wink

If you're trying to find out whether the electric water pump is bing enough, I think you're on the wrong route - the EWP is not a pressure pump so it works differently from the mechanical pump. Mechanical pumps has more "oomph" than an electric one, but the EWP probably flows a lot more water. Compare the impellers - design and size: Where the mechanical pump has straight blades, the EWP has curved ones. Also the impeller clearance against the housing is much smaller on the EWP than the mechanical pump, which works more or less only by centrifugal force.

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 05:26:04 pm »

That was not the answer I was looking for.. I expected MORE from your "Nerdy-ness"   Grin

It's a nerds way of saying "I don't know and I doubt if anyone does" Wink

I was gonna use the data in a school project I'm writing about turbo charging... so In thought I might as well use my dear old Murena as the technical foundation... and who knows... At this rate I might even end up "out nerding" you Anders!!!! (given a decade or two.. obviously) Wink
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 06:50:54 pm »

I was gonna use the data in a school project I'm writing about turbo charging... so In thought I might as well use my dear old Murena as the technical foundation... and who knows... At this rate I might even end up "out nerding" you Anders!!!! (given a decade or two.. obviously) Wink

Haha you just go ahead and try! Cool

Your school project sounds interesting.

I think you can estimate the flow, but the problem is that there are a few restrictions in the circuit, and they will effectively limit it. E.g. the thermostat: only able to open some 10 mm and with sharp edges causing turbolence and resistance, it is probably the major limiting factor to the water flow. As for the water pump, I think you can estimate the flow figure by the amount of water being rotated by the impeller multiplied by the speed with which it rotates. Ask your teacher if he will accept that. Fluid mechanics is not that easy... (and not my specialty).

- Anders

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 07:51:07 pm »

I think that I , in the end , will "assume" that the standard pump would be adequate since the pug turbo uses a similarly sized unit.
And instead focus on the benefits of using an electric pump to keep the temperature steady even at low revs.
There are still plenty of maths left. Smiley

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 03:20:34 pm »

quote Krede.
---------------
standard pump would be adequate since the pug turbo uses a similarly sized unit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, not thrue.
The 505 has the QCP-1011 From Quinton Hazel, and the Murena has defenitly a different impeller wich is bigger and the pulley is smaller.
Also the waterpump axle from the murena is 15mm shorter for making replacing possible with the engine in the car.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:28:22 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 03:51:14 pm »

Thanks for the correction.. I had the impression that the exterior was different but the internal parts of the two pumps were similar.
But, from what you write, the murena water pump ought to flow at least as much as the 505 unit.(bigger impeller more revs)
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 05:57:47 pm »

I think the Murena has more flow, the pulley is smaller to.
Because of midmotor, the engine gets warmer then in the 505, and the route to the radiator is long,  so more flow is needed.
If i find the time this weekend, I will see if I can find something in the manual of the 505 GTI turbo about waterflow.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: