| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Con rods  (Read 18052 times)
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 08:29:31 pm »

well...  the engines Ive seen that had under piston oil cooling, only used one nozzle pr cylinder so I guess the "spray pattern will be similar with this arrangement. 
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 12:22:21 pm »

It must be spraying the cylinder wall more than the piston

I don't think so.
There is an insert directing the spray straight upwards. And in either case if better lubrication of the cylinder wall is wanted (which I haven't heard should be a problem on Murena engines) there are better ways to accomplish this.

Does the hole line up with a similar hole in the crankshaft, so that, once each revolution, the oil is pumped through the crank shaft and out through the hole? If so where is the hole, on the up- or down-stroke? You can't se it on the photos, but is there a spot on the piston pin, where the oil spray would hit, thus lubricating it?

Matranaut par excellence Cool
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 10:01:11 am »

A little update.. just pulled another 505 n9te apart, and found that the rods in that one had no provisions for oil spray from the rods.. so.. they are made in both types.
Oskar

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 11:46:43 am »

ive never heard of pistons beeing cooled fom the con rods. Huh  on xu9j4 (16v pugg engine) they use spraynozzle mounted below the cylinders, spraying up on the piston

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 11:57:51 am »

Nozzles spraying the underside of the pistons are quite common on truck engines... but this system is also new to me... I speculate that it has more to do with lubrication than cooling... and It must also result in higher pressure loss in the system.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 08:59:58 am »

Wasn't there a shortcoming of lubrication for the bearing shells in the 2.2?
Maybe this hole is a modification for it.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 09:07:12 am »

Don't think so... as far as I can tell the oil squirter hole is only present on early engines.. like the liquid filled exhaust valves etc... which is funny as these are the ones that put out really low power (146-160 hp).. that shouldn't merit such fancy engineering. 
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: