| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: beetle and merc  (Read 10365 times)
Bart_Maztra

« on: November 22, 2008, 09:49:41 pm »

Got some more cars now. It's a 1969 vw beetle and a 1970 merc 250 coupe.  They belong to my sister and brother-in-law. The cars have been stationair for about 10 years in a shed.  The shed must be demolished so the cars had to go.  So now i got them.

Both cars had there last apk (mot) about 10 years ago.  My plan is to try to get new mot with a less effort as possible. And have a bit of fun with it the next summer, and then sell them.  If mot is not easily possible, then also sell it.

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:29:09 am »

Ahhh... I have wanted a Beetle myself for quite some time......And I'm gonna buy one... as soon as I have acquired an Opel Manta, a Ford Capri, a Volvo Amazon a Mk II Toyota Supra, a Bagheera, A SECOND MURENA!, a Honda CRX, and, and, and, and.... and a place to keep them all  Grin

Ps: Your merc looks bloody AWESOME!! , If I had a place to store it , I'd take it off your hands right away!!  Undecided

Pps: Yes!... surprise.. I like old cars... Shocked
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:34:00 am by krede » Logged
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:49:57 pm »

My parents have an old farm with some empty barns. Lots of space to store some extra car's.

The mercedes's issues ofwhich i am aware of are: locked brakes, poor automatic gear and poor running on petrol. It runs fine on LPG (i'm told).  The brakes are sorted now. It was quite a bit of work. All the cups in all calipers were fixed. It was a very big struggle to get them loose.  The calipers were threated with new rubbers and new pads. 
All the brake hoses were blocked. That was a suprise, because they looked ok to me. No dry cracks on the outside. So i replaced the brake hoses aswell.  Next thing to do is an APK (mot). Not that i'm confident that the car will be aproved, but to learn what is wrong with the car. It has some rust, but i hope that's not an issue. If there is any welding needed, or any other major repairs, i will sell it straight away.

The beetle's issues are: brakes and rust.
The drum brakes are in a horrible state.  Very rusty and all the adjusting mecanism were rusted solid.  They needs to be renewed, aswell the brake shoes and hydraulics and hoses and master cilinder.  But i renewed none of this. Just treated the drum brakes with a wire brush and loads of penetrating oil.  The brakes are kind of working now. Don't want to spend money to it.  First i want to do an APK test to see how bad the rust is.  If rust is no problem for the apk, then i will renew the brakes.
The engine starts and runs fine, and all the electrics are working.

The difference a bucket of water can make Cool

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 02:45:46 pm »

Well.. if you decide to sell the Merc at some point, send me a message.. Smiley
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:41:45 pm »

little update,
Both cars went to the apk (mot).
The beetle need some welding underneath. And the front suspension is rotten, and to much play on the steering box, and bad brakes, and rusted brake lines.
Then the mercedes. Overall, not to bad! Only a rusted trailing arm. And the radiator start leaking  Undecided, but that's not an apk issue.

The beetle is now for sale. Don't want to spend more time on it.

The mercedes is now on the operation table.

One trailing arm needs to be replaced. Taking off the trailing arm is a bit of a pain. The two bolts which is holding it, can't be reached. The only way to remove them is taking the complete rear suspension frame off.  So now i need to take off both brake calipers, brake lines, springs, dampers, drive shafts, exhaust, parking brake lines, etc.

Oskar

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 09:00:20 pm »

omg  nice cars and no sleep at night Smiley

thats almost as much job as having a girlfriend

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:05:38 pm »

....AND THIS JUST IN, FROM THE HEALTH AND SAFETY DEPARTMENT!!!

Seriously Bart.. that looks rather dangerous to me!
Oskar

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:19:27 pm »

hardcore  Grin Cool

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
lewisman

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 09:41:43 pm »

....AND THIS JUST IN, FROM THE HEALTH AND SAFETY DEPARTMENT!!!

Seriously Bart.. that looks rather dangerous to me!

Nonsense.  Safe enough.  There is a bit of string tying the car to the roof of the garage. Smiley

It probably looks worse in the photo.  Just be careful when you are underneath it!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: