| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1994 2.1TD Espace Clutch pedal  (Read 9381 times)
GrahamT

« on: December 05, 2008, 01:28:28 pm »

Hello experts!  Smiley

Hope you can help me!  Lost my clutch yesterday  Sad  I've had a look and I can pull the cable from the engine end and it raises the clutch pedal but when I depress the clutch pedal the cable does not move.

I've looked inside at the pedal and I can move the pedal up and down but the lever end, where the cable fits, does not move if someone pulls hard on the other end of the cable. It appears that the clutch pedal has broken somehow along where it pivots???

I have started dismantling the cockpit and can see the mounting bracket but it seems impossible to remove without removing all the plastics, which I have a feeling means removing the dashboard completely. Is that right or is there (I hope!) a way around it???

There is a second part to this post but I'll save that for later, unless anyone can guess first LOL!!

Thanks a lot,
Graham
(Newbie, please be gentle!)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 02:41:22 pm »

Hello experts!  Smiley

Hope you can help me!  Lost my clutch yesterday  Sad  I've had a look and I can pull the cable from the engine end and it raises the clutch pedal but when I depress the clutch pedal the cable does not move.

I've looked inside at the pedal and I can move the pedal up and down but the lever end, where the cable fits, does not move if someone pulls hard on the other end of the cable. It appears that the clutch pedal has broken somehow along where it pivots???

I have started dismantling the cockpit and can see the mounting bracket but it seems impossible to remove without removing all the plastics, which I have a feeling means removing the dashboard completely. Is that right or is there (I hope!) a way around it???

There is a second part to this post but I'll save that for later, unless anyone can guess first LOL!!

Thanks a lot,
Graham
(Newbie, please be gentle!)

Hello Graham,

First you need to tell us the details of your vehicle, since without that all is speculation.  Manufacturers change things often and there are many technical notes that modify or completely replace the workshop manual information at times.  So is it left or right hand drive?  What is the full VIN and Fabrication number?  These are on the 'oval plate' and are always required to obtain parts for your vehicle.

The cable probably has automatic take up and it sounds like the device has failed.  Therefore you probably need a new cable.  Unless something obvious has happened like the end of the pedal has broken off and the cable is not attached.

Roy

GrahamT

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 05:28:17 pm »

Hi Roy, thanks for the reply!
It is a UK vehicle, therefore Right Hand Drive (I've had a quick surf around the forums and I see this is a Europe wide site, nice! I shall try to include all relevant details in the future!! Thanks!)

The cable is the manual adjustment type.
Don't have oval plate details to hand at the moment but will store them ready for next time.

I have gone a stage further. I have managed to remove the pedal (I thought I had to remove the entire framework, but no!) The roll pin on the cable end of the lever came out easily enough but the pin on the pedal end was stuck fast. It was this pin that had sheared off (leaving enough friction to lift the pedal if the cable was pulled) and it seems it is an ex nail!!!  Shocked

I simply have to replace the ex nail for a proper roll pin and I should be back in business.

Now comes the second part...

When I bought the car the previous owner said it had just had a new clutch cable. A couple of months after having the car the bracket on the engine end of the cable snapped in half (replacement bracket direct from Renault was just over £5!! Bargain!!). Now the (slightly sub standard) pin at the pedal end has sheared off. I think it's trying to tell me something!!

The clutch has always been heavy so, part 2 is, is there a problem with my clutch?

As I said, it has always been a bit heavy, the gear change is a bit notchy, reverse usually graunches and it did slip until I adjusted the clutch a little.

Any clues???

Thanks for your time,
Graham
GrahamT

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 10:21:23 pm »

Well, I figured that I had to split the gearbox from the engine to see why things kept breaking and why the clutch was so heavy. Here are some notes just to compete the thread.

The Haynes manual is pretty much hopeless in this department. There are a couple of gotchas. The top transmission bolt is a bit on the long side. It did wiggle out but was a right pain and would not go back in if the box was already fixed on with another couple of bolts. A half inch shorter and refitting it was easy. The one thing I did miss and had me scratching my head for some time (why isn't the gearbox falling on my head???) was the engine damper!!! NO mention at all in the book! It is easier to remove the clutch cable bracket (although the box will drop down with it still on) and then the bolt through the engine end of the damper can be removed easily. Just make sure the damper is extended and sits in the bracket when refitting.

On inspection the release bearing was very hard to move up and down the input shaft on the gearbox. If it ever was grease the very sticky glue like substance on the shaft cleaned off fairly easily with a bit of gunk. Some moly grease on the shaft and the new bearing slides up and down nicely.

The clutch plate was worn down to the rivets on the pressure plate side and had scored the plate itself. So new clutch fitted. The flywheel did show some signs of heat but wasn't scored at all. I think it will be ok, it will have to be now!

I have refittied the gearbox, it went on quite easily using a trolley jack toward the front and a piece of steel bar across the chassis rails at the rear end.

Haven't quite finished the job yet but can't see any major problems ahead now. Looking forward to a much lighter clutch and smoother gear changes!!

jontherev

she is gone now i am sorry, i have a vw sharan

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 12:04:18 pm »

it has happend on 2 of my espaces. the pin holding the peddle on is snaped trust me,
what i done is cut away the pannal that covers it, you wont notice its gone and it is next to impossible to do so with out removing a lot of the dash,
the only thing i could find strong enough as a pin was, an allan key ground down enough to be taped in with a hammer.
i done mine last week and it is sound as a pound.

never buy an automatic espace phase 2! i mean it you will be sorry,it wount last long.
GrahamT

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 12:55:06 am »

Well great minds etc etc Grin

I struggled for a little while (wishing I hadn't opened my big mouth!) to try and get the shaft for the pedals back in as well as replace the washer that fell out and get the spring back in place for the brake pedal when I thought oh poo, I'm gonna have to take the dashboard out!!! Then I saw the plastic fortress protecting the pedals and out came the dremel LOL!!!

You're right, so much easier!

It's easier to get the exhaust back on with the heat shield removed too!
The only other struggle I had was with one track rod end which refused to tighten. just went round and round. A quick clean of the threads with a tap and die and hey presto.

The pedal feels much better now and much better gear change (after getting the adjustment right). Just a blow from the exhaust to sort out. I think new studs are required, the old ones did feel a bit fragile.

Cheers,
Graham

GrahamT

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 02:36:49 am »

I don't belieeeeve it!!!!!

Got in the car the next day, thought pedal felt a bit stiff, couldn't get in to gear. Adjusted nut a little, tried clutch and... BANG!

The roll pin I used on the clutch pedal had just sheared!! Like it was made of plastic! Not happy  Cry

I have now replaced the pin, again, this time for a proper renault one (which is solid, just like a nail!! The original pin was probably correct then, I take it all back!).

It still felt a bit heavy really so I detached the engine end of the cable. Upon inspection I can see wear on the cable. And it was a little bit reluctant. I oiled it up and that made it quite a lot better. I also rerouted the cable and, after adjusting it again, it now feels right. It is quite a bit lighter and there is a definite clutchy feel to it, like you can feel the pressure plate operate.

I'm still a bit wary that the bloody thing is going to go ping on me again though, very little confidence  Sad
Time will tell!

Now I've just got to put the interior back together, it's like driving around in a workshop at the moment!!  Bits of plastic and tools all over the place Grin

Cheers,
Graham
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: