| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: One of those jobs I wish I'd never started  (Read 21824 times)
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« on: December 29, 2008, 05:50:24 pm »

Decided to use my few days off to swap the gearbox  as second gear synchro has gone.  To start off with, all the trailing arm bolts were rusted solid.  Not to worry, Santa Claus brought me a nice new air hacksaw.  It has only taken me a day and two blades to cut through them all.  Those bolts must be made from good steel!  Now I can't get the left hand driveshaft out of the gearbox  Sad  The bushes look as if they won't come out of the trailing arm without a fight and they need to be replaced.  And it's 2 deg.C in my workshop.  I hope after all this the spare 'box is a good one.  It came as part of the shedload of spares with the car, so I've no idea what it's like.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:08:59 pm »

Its a common fault that the Drive shafts get stuck in the gearbox. And sadly if they cannot be removed by a quick pull.. you'll need to disassemble the differential to release them from the inside.

The gearbox i am rebuilding has the left hand drive shaft stuck in it as well
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:22:46 am »

There's a tool described in the workshop manual to take the driveshafts out. Have you tried that (both of you)? I remember having seen a sketch of it at www.espace-murena.com... yes, here it is: http://www.espace-murena.com/articles.html, click the link "Extraction Transmission" on the left. Seems to be an improved version of the tool.

I know the feeling, Pete, about starting jobs you fear you'll regret. I'm sure the suffering will pay out in the end in the end! Hang on and take it easy.

Cheers,
Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 01:00:30 pm »

Yes.. I tried fashioning such a tool but to no avail. And Im quite certain that Hans did the same.
Oskar

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:23:29 pm »

I feel sorry for you. Im planning on doing the same couse I have a crack in the gearbox, otherwise its very tight and no synchroerrors.
but now I dont know if its worth it or maybe try to weld it at place

damnit  Angry Roll Eyes Smiley

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 09:04:52 pm »

Thanks for the sympathy Cheesy.  I'll think of you doing the same, you'll have to take the 'box off whether you weld it or replace it.  Personally, I'd replace it, or at least the casing, alloy welding is never that successful in my experience and it has to take a lot of load from the starter.  I noticed my starter has an additional  support at the back, as well as three bolts at the front, so there may be a problem with starter loading.  I've been at it for three days now and haven't even got the gearbox back on, there seem to be loads of pipes and anti-roll bars in the way.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 09:14:58 pm »

alloy welding is never that successful
It can be done no problem. But you need to have it TIG welded, and of cause done by someone who know what he is doing as this is very difficult to do properly. And the optimal solution would be to have a bit of extra material (from a broken gearbox casting) to use as "filler".
A mate of mine is educated as an alu smith, and after he welded my water pump housing shut (for my EWP build ). He told after wards , that "old" cast alloy is of much better quality (with regards to welding) then newer ones.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:23:19 pm by krede » Logged
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 03:11:38 pm »

The last few days have not gone well.  The gearbox is now on and everything is connected up, but I've dismantled the diff on the old box and still can't get the shaft out.  I've removed the core plug and soaked everything in penetrating oil, I've tried the "two pins" trick suggested by Roy, I've tried a three-legged puller on the drive flange but it won't budge Cry  On top of that, when I was struggling to change the silentblocs, I noticed a rust hole in the trailing arm.  Still, the good news is that there is a serviceable trailing arm and a drive shaft in the hoard of spares, although it needs a new inner boot.  I'll put it all back together with the spares while I ponder what to do about the other parts.  Any suggestions welcome.  I'm having a few days break now, to give the parts time to arrive and the scars time to heal Smiley
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 05:13:18 pm »

The last few days have not gone well.

I'm sorry to hear that.

The gearbox is now on and everything is connected up, but I've dismantled the diff on the old box and still can't get the shaft out.  I've removed the core plug and soaked everything in penetrating oil, I've tried the "two pins" trick suggested by Roy, I've tried a three-legged puller on the drive flange but it won't budge Cry 

How very annoying! It sounds like you have tried everything.

On top of that, when I was struggling to change the silentblocs, I noticed a rust hole in the trailing arm.  Still, the good news is that there is a serviceable trailing arm and a drive shaft in the hoard of spares, although it needs a new inner boot.

You are lucky to have a good bin of spares for your car - you should be able to get it back in running order then.

I'll put it all back together with the spares while I ponder what to do about the other parts.  Any suggestions welcome.  I'm having a few days break now, to give the parts time to arrive and the scars time to heal Smiley

Time is sometimes what it takes to get rusty parts apart. Your best bet is to give it regular sprays of WD40 or similar, and to try again and again to get the parts apart using gentle persuasion...

Good luck with it!

- Anders

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 09:57:24 pm »

I'll take my differential apart next week.. maybe I can come up with something.
Oskar

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 04:31:35 pm »

can youplease take some pictures of the diff etc where the stuff is jamed?
aint it possible to heat it up?

good luck  Smiley

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 05:49:20 pm »

can youplease take some pictures of the diff etc where the stuff is jamed?
I'll do my best.  I've tried heat but it didn't work.
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 05:51:11 pm »

Only seems to have attached one picture, here's the other.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 07:52:28 pm »

Excellent photos, especially the latter. I'm impressed that you haven't managed to get it out yet! This must be very powerful rust  Shocked

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 08:11:48 pm »

This must be very powerful rust

Hopefully it isn't gust but rust contaminated grease!!
You SHOULD be able to use a couple of small screwdrivers and press the locking ring on the shaft enough to release it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: