| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace JE 2000 Dashbord dead... again...  (Read 5162 times)
RafnaTyr

Scandinavian rambler...

« on: December 14, 2008, 09:20:06 pm »

Hi,

Well thanks to all the nice people here at Matrasport forum I where helped out with the problems I had with the dashboard previously, sent it in for repair in UK and it worked out fine!
Now I have a new similar problem. Today I left the ignition on out of mistake, the battery ran dead so when I tried to start it nothing happend.

I charged up the battery with a normal charger for cars, after two hours it started but the dashboard was dead again, light on but no instrument, also, the radio died.

I then removed the the battery connections to clean them, and guess what, the instrument worked again, for two seconds, as soon I turned the ignition key it flickerd on, and then went blank. I tried to detach the battery again and if I waited more then five minutes and connected the battery again I saw for example the red warning light turned on again but still same problem, as soon as I turned the ignition the instruments came on for a second and then went blank, also, after turning off the ignition the red warning lamp on the dashbord was not blinking.
That's the lamp warning for electronic key protection I'm reffering to.

So now I'm trying to leave the battery detached for a longer period over the night to see it it's some memory or simular that has to be cleared, I guess you all can see I'm just wingin' it now *lol*
Have no idea what's the problem... anyone out there that might have any idea?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:22:37 pm by RafnaTyr » Logged

Eje Mähler - Sweden - || Grand Espace 2000 2,0 16v ||
 - || Espace J63 1995 2,2i || - Soon up for sale
Be well, drive safe, see you out on the roads :-)
RafnaTyr

Scandinavian rambler...

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:38:21 pm »

Hi,

Well thanks to all the nice people here at Matrasport forum I where helped out with the problems I had with the dashboard previously, sent it in for repair in UK and it worked out fine!
Now I have a new similar problem. Today I left the ignition on out of mistake, the battery ran dead so when I tried to start it nothing happend.

I charged up the battery with a normal charger for cars, after two hours it started but the dashboard was dead again, light on but no instrument, also, the radio died.

I then removed the the battery connections to clean them, and guess what, the instrument worked again, for two seconds, as soon I turned the ignition key it flickerd on, and then went blank. I tried to detach the battery again and if I waited more then five minutes and connected the battery again I saw for example the red warning light turned on again but still same problem, as soon as I turned the ignition the instruments came on for a second and then went blank, also, after turning off the ignition the red warning lamp on the dashbord was not blinking.
That's the lamp warning for electronic key protection I'm reffering to.

So now I'm trying to leave the battery detached for a longer period over the night to see it it's some memory or simular that has to be cleared, I guess you all can see I'm just wingin' it now *lol*
Have no idea what's the problem... anyone out there that might have any idea?

I had a thought, since the battery ran empty within only two hours, and I don't have automatic headlights on the car, so it was more or less only the radio that drained the battery, within two hours... can it be that the battery is short circued or something like that, so I don't have full 12V, maybe only 10 or 11 so that could be the problem?
Have no idea, but a thought??
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:23:06 pm by RafnaTyr » Logged

Eje Mähler - Sweden - || Grand Espace 2000 2,0 16v ||
 - || Espace J63 1995 2,2i || - Soon up for sale
Be well, drive safe, see you out on the roads :-)
roa

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:11:19 am »

Hi

Emptying a car battery in just 2 hours requires a current of approx. 30 amps. Surely this current has to run throug some system(s) in the car.  Leaving the ignitinon on will activate display, BII-unit, airbag system, engine control system(?), interior lights(if switched on), fuel pump, radio-unit, ac-control unit and defroster fans.
Will these systems consume 30 amps alltogether? I don't know for sure, but its possible.

Regardless of this, you might have some other problem, and yes it is possible that the battery voltage is to low for the display to "start". One shorted battery-cell will give a batteryvoltage of 10volts, which could be enough to start the car, but might cause electronics to misbehave.

You should start by measuring the batteryvoltage:

Ignition off:
-should measure no less than 12 volts.
If less than 12 volts:
-either the battery is defective(1 shorted battery cell?)
-or there is some shortcircuit in the car(pre ignition relay).

To check battery, disconnect terminal(s) and measure voltage. If less than 12 volts, recharge and measure again. Still below 12volts? -buy new!

-To check for shortcircuits, (battery is ok, but voltage drops when battery connected to car) - check current consumption in the car. This requires a good amperemeter, capable of handling both low(milliamps.) and high(10 -25 amperes)currents(or lots of spare fuses for amp.meter....).
When ignition is turned off, no more than 100milli-amperes shoult be read.

Ignition on:
-Battery voltage should keep above 11,5volts.
-Lower voltage indicates shortcircuits.
Engine running:
-Battery voltage should be between 13,5 and 14,5 volts.
-below 13 volts indicates poor charging(generator) or very high current consumption(shortcircuit).
-display will not function properly below 10,5 volts

Locating short-circuits with ignition on, requires connecting high-amp amp-meter. Then remove fuses in car until amp-measurements drop. All fuses removed and still high current = faulty wiring-harness(deep shit Cry)

Hope this can be of some help.

BTW: Apparently drained battery(car seems dead), could simply be a loose or corroded batteryclamp. Just connecting/fiddling with the batterycharger could be enough to restore connection.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: