| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Identifying a Murena 1.6 engine  (Read 12537 times)
andyowl

New exhaust "straight through" - good sound!

« on: January 26, 2009, 05:34:30 pm »

Although a Newbie on this forum I have been a Bagheera owner since 1978 - I still have that car and three other Bagheeras plus a Rene Bonnet Djet I look after for another club member.

I think I have a 1.6 Murena engine in my garage (purchased from Zac Marshall in the UK some years ago). Can anyone confirm the specification from the following information please?

Engine number: OD - 0098 00539
Single carb type: 86 DCNVA 11 - 100 9D, made by Bresser (Weber licence?)

The engine has the same format/mounting points as the 1442cc Bagheera engine with which I am familiar.

My plan is to fit it in my latest Bagheera restoration (S2 1978 lefthand drive) for motorsport. Our MECUK visits to "La Vie en Bleu" at the Bugatti Prescott Hill Climb have inspired me to give it a try.  Enjoyment is the plan, honours are not expected!

"Older but no smarter".

Andy

Back in business for fun!
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:58:20 pm »

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum!

Can't help with the car though.
lewisman

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 09:11:26 pm »

Hi Andy and welcome.

Not sure about the engine number but assuming the carb is a twin choke one, it will either be a murena engine or out of a 1.6 Solara/Alpine.  If it is a single choke carb it will be from the base model Solara.

I fitted a 1.6 Solara unit to my Bagheera with no problems.

David
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 06:22:18 pm »

I think you've mis-read the carb type.  I think it's 36 DCNVA which would definitely identify it as one from a 1.6 Murena (or Alpine/Solara with the same 6J2A engine).  Can't help with the engine number, but that on my spare engine begins OC so it looks likely that it is from a Murena.
lewisman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 10:42:21 pm »

The 36 DCNVA is a twin choke carb so it is the same as the one fitted to the murena or the Solara/Alpine apart from the de-tuned version fitted to the base model.  The one I used was the de-tuned version so I had to change the cam.
andyowl

New exhaust "straight through" - good sound!

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:41:30 am »

Thank you all for your replies! I was reading up-side-down at the time!

Andy Owler

Back in business for fun!
Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 11:43:47 am »

Andy,

Identifying a 1.6 is very easy : on the bloc, center top, admission side : 407029 = 1.6.

The various types of 1.6 have this
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 10:11:37 am »

I think I have a 1.6 Murena engine in my garage (purchased from Zac Marshall in the UK some years ago). Can anyone confirm the specification from the following information please?

Engine number: OD - 0098 00539
Single carb type: 86 DCNVA 11 - 100 9D, made by Bresser (Weber licence?)

Andy

Whilst I know this is an old posting, I picked it up as I was doing a search on the 36 DCNVA carburettor whilst doing a job on a Murena 1.6 recently, and I thought I would answer this query from Andy for completeness of information for anyone with a 1.6 Murena, or indeed any other carburettor engine.

First the engine number.  The initial letters '0C' or '0D'  indicate the year it was made, just like the date code in the chassis number or VIN.  So a 'B' indicates a 1981 build, a 'C' is a 1982 and a 'D' is a 1983 manufacture.

The carburettor type on a 1.6 Murena is a Weber 36 DCNVA 16/100.  As with other Weber carburettors the base carburettor has a type, in this case '36 DCNVA' and the actual specification in this case '11/100' denotes the various jetting of that particular carb. and therefore the car/engine for which it was originally set up.
So an 11/100 would have had 28 mm venturis, and 40 idle jets as two examples, whilst the 16/100 that was fitted to the 1.6 Murena should have 29 mm venturis and 42 idle jets.  All the other specifications would be likely to be different as well, so the main jets, emulsion tubes, air correction jets, pump jets etc. are probably all different.

The 11/100 is for a smaller engine and probably comes from a Simca with the 1442 cc which is why it has smaller venturis because it would not require the volume of air that the larger 1592 cc engine wants.  So you could not simply fit a 11/100 on a 1.6 Murena and expect it to work just like the original 16/100.  Obviously you can change any of the variables and convert the base carb. to what you want, but that could be costly.  You might think 'well I can simply swap all the bits over from the original carb.' and that may be possible, but you have to ask why then are you fitting the other carb?  The parts you are swapping over are probably worn and causing the very problems you are experiencing that is leading to you fitting this other carb.  So you may gain nothing.  Better to repair the carb. you have.

Obviously if you don't have the right carb. in the first place or it is broken physically in some way, then getting a similar base carb. and rejetting it to your requirements is fine, but as stated it will cost you for all the new venturis, emulsion tubes, jets, etc. that you will need plus a gasket and seal overhaul kit.

In a similar vein, the Murena 2.2 was fitted originally with a 34 CICF 141 Solex carb.  There are again variations on the base 34 CICF carb. and one fitted to a Citroen was a 34 CICF 161 which has different settings and cannot be used on the Murena without changing the settings.

Where you have to be careful is that some base carbs. have certain things fixed which cannot be changed and therefore make them unsuitable.  The Solex 34 CICF is one such case and some Webers made for Ford also have cast in venturis - it is done for cheapness.  When the venturis are fixed they cannot be changed so if you have a version with small venturis and you want one with larger venturis or vice versa then you cannot adapt the carb.

Hopefully this explanation will help you understand a little more about carburettors.

Roy

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 11:06:35 am »

I had lots of trouble fixing the weber on my 1.6.
It was warned and the venturis where turnining around in the carb.
There was play in the venturi's and carb.

Replaced a standard kit and bearings.

Adjusted

This was in a bad state.
There was so much play that a lot of air passed on the side of the venturis.

I made cupper wires (2.5mm) to get the play out.

To cut of air that leak on the sides of the venturi's I used some O-rings

Now its more in place.

Replaced the warned jets (oval holes)

Big problem for this carbs are the pumpjets.

pic urbain

The bronze bush get loose an falls down.
There is also a little ball in it to close the pump jet.
The bronze bush is difficult to get out.
This pump jets are nowhere to find.

Herman
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:28:39 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: