| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: heavy leeking steering!  (Read 8078 times)
noskers

« on: February 14, 2009, 10:32:50 pm »

hi out there
 i have a 3.0 rxe auto espace went out today and steering was really really and i mean really!!! heavy... i looked under car and found some red liquid leeking from passanger side ! could this be power steering fluid? does anyone know how to go about fixing this? please help if you do!!
many thanks
stuart
Elmo the Espace

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:49:04 pm »

Hi
You need to check your power steer resivour to check the level. then jack up your espace and check The pump is mounted on the front of the enging and driven via a v belt you may find that a hose has come lose or worse case the pump has failed and leaking from the shaft seal.
You have lost power assistance if you find you have a leak tighten the hoses or replace then before you drive the espace you must turn the steering lock to lock  to remove any air from the system.
Hope this helps

1965 Land rover 2a SWB
1966 Land Rover 2a SWB
2 x 1994 2.0i Espace's
Transit 140 bhp limited SWB 2009
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:30:16 am »

If the leak you found under the vehicle is under the rear of the engine bay on the passenger side (just in front of the foot well) then it could likely be a leak from one of the hoses or hose unions to the steering rack  or the rack itself.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:37:45 am »

hi out there
 i have a 3.0 rxe auto espace went out today and steering was really really and i mean really!!! heavy... i looked under car and found some red liquid leeking from passanger side ! could this be power steering fluid? does anyone know how to go about fixing this? please help if you do!!
many thanks
stuart

Since the steering is really heavy, and the fluid is red, it is probably a power steering leak, and the most likely fault is a burst hose.  If it is you will need to replace it and top up the system.  Just turning the steering from side to side afterwards will bleed the system.  Level should be checked with engine idling.  As these hoses can be very expensive, there is a cheaper way - contact me directly if you need help.

Roy

noskers

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 07:50:27 pm »

hi guys
burst pipe coming out of rear of engine by passanger wheel i have been quoted 400 pounds for a new pipe and fitting! any one know of any other ways of replacing pipe?
cheers
stuart
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:06:43 pm »

hi guys
burst pipe coming out of rear of engine by passanger wheel i have been quoted 400 pounds for a new pipe and fitting! any one know of any other ways of replacing pipe?
cheers
stuart

As I have stated before, can you please contact me directly and with details - I need actual VIN and Fabrication numbers before I can check (just like any dealer) since there can be changes and variables that need to be checked or allowed for before I can know what the parts will be, and fitting.  So please contact me directly - i.e. roy@matraclub.org.uk  Do not use the email contained in this system.  Normally I don't check in here very often but I always check my email every day.  Thank you.

Roy

Elmo the Espace

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 09:34:22 pm »

Hi
When my pipe from the pump to the steering rack burst, Renault wanted over £100 for the pipe and said it would take a week to get.
So i took the pipe to my local Pirtek who mad one to the same spec for £40 inc vat.
But if it the steel link pipes which run along the rack you may have to go to Renault.

1965 Land rover 2a SWB
1966 Land Rover 2a SWB
2 x 1994 2.0i Espace's
Transit 140 bhp limited SWB 2009
noskers

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:26:03 pm »

its the flexi pipe which has a crimped end on which goes to another steel joint that is leeking garage has said its a proper pain in the ass job said they got take half the engine out thats probably why its 200 for fitting plus 200 for pipe!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: