| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gear stick replacement (off the shelf after market)  (Read 13395 times)
Murena IRL

« on: March 25, 2009, 11:59:50 pm »

Hello All,

Has anyone replaced their gear stick (shifter) with an aftermarket one? The rubber on mine has detoriated and really needs to be replaced. Difficult and expensive for second hand ones that will detoriate (or already are in the process) aswell.

Do u have any photos?

Thanks
Derek

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:34:09 am »

Have you tried the usual Matra parts suppliers for an OE lever or knob?  I would like to replace mine, not because the knob is worn, but because the ball and socket at the base are badly worn, giving rise to a very sloppy gearchange.  It appears as though the lever assembly from a 5-speed Talbot Alpine/Solara would fit, but they are very rare in scrapyards in the UK.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:17:54 am »

Has anyone replaced their gear stick (shifter) with an aftermarket one?

Unfortunately you can't just replace the knob, as far as I know. Looking in the repair manual, it looks like you have to get part of the stick with it. The ball joint is a seperate part. Both are available at Simon's.

The partnumber for the stick is 09051 (black) and they list it for appx. €117.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
murramor

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:56:47 pm »

The partnumber for the stick is 09051 (black) and they list it for appx. €117.

Beware that there are 2 different types of gear sticks.  One is a single piece  including the fork and the other is a two piece affair held together with a roll pin.  Before you place an order make sure which type you have. 

I know because I ordered one  and had to return it as it was wrong.  I am somewhat lax when it comes to attention to detail so I ordered mine without asking the price.  In a way I was lucky that it was the wrong one as I cancelled the order and had a motor trimmer cover the old knob with brown leather.  It looks great and was far cheaper.

regards

Ron Murrell
Sydney, Australia
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:45:50 pm »

Beware that there are 2 different types of gear sticks. 

Ooh, I missed that.  Embarrassed Good point.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 04:51:17 pm »

If the rod itself is okay, it is possible to change the knob to an aftermarket one if you remove the foam rubber on the rod. It will not be original, of course, but will be far better than a broken one, and will be cheaper than a replacement. This is a common problem.

Here's the interior of Lennart's car with his non-original knob:

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Murena IRL

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 09:50:09 pm »

Thanks Anders - that is what I am looking for.

The rod is fine and gear selection no problem. It is really cosmetic, my gear stick looks like a melted candle at the moment!

So any after market knob will work?

Thanks
Derek
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 06:28:23 am »

That, I can't tell you... Wink I would think aftermarket gearknobs come in different sizes, so you'll need to find one that is a good fit on the shaft, given the diameter of it.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Oskar

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 11:04:10 am »

so you just use a knife to cut it loose?

its funny, I have the same sony mdplayer  Smiley

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 12:46:13 pm »

Beware that there are 2 different types of gear sticks.  One is a single piece  including the fork and the other is a two piece affair held together with a roll pin.
My stick is the two part variety and the 5-speed Alpine type looks the same, according to the Haynes manual.  My plan was to obtain an Alpine stick with a decent ball and socket and dismantle it to fit the Murena top half and knob.  Has anyone tried this?  I know Simon still list them but they are 117 Euros.
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 05:57:20 pm »

I will guess most will work.

I replaced mine specifically because it has been modified (cut/welded) before - possibly a rather flawed attempt to elliviate sloppy gearchanges - but the whole thing came off in my hand one day driving ... :-)

Then I got the little alu-ball from Demon Tweeks or something similar in order to be able to drive the car at all - and wen I had the engine converted, the new gearchange was so good that the now shorter length is no problem at all.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 04:56:22 pm »

Beware that there are 2 different types of gear sticks.  One is a single piece  including the fork and the other is a two piece affair held together with a roll pin.
My stick is the two part variety and the 5-speed Alpine type looks the same, according to the Haynes manual.  My plan was to obtain an Alpine stick with a decent ball and socket and dismantle it to fit the Murena top half and knob.  Has anyone tried this?  I know Simon still list them but they are 117 Euros.

First thing - although the early cars had a split gear lever with spring loading and you have to push down to select reverse, the detent is only a small plate at the base area of the lever, and the action is not required at the gearbox.  If you remove the detent you can have a solid gear lever and it will work just like the later cars.  So if you have a split gear lever that was breaking up or coming a part, simply weld it up solid and get rid if the detent.

Second, the gear lever knobs, of which there were two types - the common round knob and the thin 'trigger' type often fitted to Belgian spec. cars, are simply a shaped rubber sleeve glued on to the shaft.  You can either purchase a new one if they are still available, cut off the old one and stick the new one on, I did this to my car many years ago when the original knob broke up, or replace it as follows.

Finally if the knobs are no longer available, another easy way to replace them is to cut off the old knob, cut a thread on the top of the old shaft and fit one of the accessory gear lever knobs with self cutting sleeve, like we used to do when replacing manufacturer knobs with special wooden or leather knobs that had the car badge in the top.

Roy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 04:58:12 pm by roy4matra » Logged

davidewanprice
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 08:47:06 pm »

Mine started to fall to bits a while ago, now I have fitted a nice polished MOMO round gear know with black leather gator. Looks great and was easy to fit..
Murena IRL

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 01:03:52 am »

now I have fitted a nice polished MOMO round gear know with black leather gator. Looks great and was easy to fit..

hi David - do u have a picture u can post? Thanks
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: