| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New potential Espace 2.2td Espace buyer  (Read 4854 times)
D10m

« on: April 02, 2009, 12:36:31 pm »

Hello, Currently I am using a Volvo 940 estate for carrying my surfboards on surf trips. Due to having an aged mother I need something that requires less bending to get into. I have always liked the design of the Espace and a friend had a 2.1 diesel which was used to good effect for similar needs. There seems to be not too may of these 2.1's around so I am looking at the 2.2td. Can anyone suggest things to look out for that are particular to these espaces over and above the usual things for used cars? My budget is £2000 which looks to get me a 10 year old vehicle so 120,000miles .I do only about 5,000 miles per year and  do repair and servicing on the Volvo and previously the C900 SAAB. Very simple cars with great forums for advice. I am gradually working my way through previous threads in your forum and it looks like there are only Manuals in French and the car is dependent on a lot of electronics. I have seen the Autel codereader recommended and also have seen CLIP on ebay from a UK seller  diagnosticuk for £725 and also alledgedly from China/Hong Kong for £500. Also is there a good independant near me in West Wales? Also what is likely to be the cost of cambelt change (and anything recommended at the same time ) for this vehicle as it looks to need special tools? General questions at this stage but gradually building up a picture of viability. Local mechanics are pretty anti French cars  and warn me off the Espaces.
Thanks
Mark
D10m

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:49:50 pm »

Thank you for everyone who took the time to read my post. Maybe the questions were too general for any replies and guidance. I am currently looking at the earlier 2.1 TD version as an easier and cheaper initiation into the espace.

Mark
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:19:53 am »

I am currently looking at the earlier 2.1 TD version as an easier and cheaper initiation into the espace.

Hi Mark - and welcome aboard

I used to have a 1994 2.1td - that was a fabulous car - but I had a host of problems getting the AC working, and also I had a many year long desire to own the last Matra-Espace (the JE) so I sold the old one.

However, from a drivers view, I actually preferred the good old diesel-power in that 2.1td, - the new 2.2dci has more power, and is probably more refined (certainly quieter) - BUT, these commonrail engines have been tuned to feel like petrol engines, so you can actually stall the car if your foot slips off the clutch or something ... That NEVER happened in the old one, it just leapt forward.

also, the power-steering (and brakes) in the modern JE is too powerful for my taste. I have had both on the same track and skid-pan, and felt much better in the J63.

The J63 is a fair bit lighter, which also might be part of the explanation.

Conclusion is - I absolutely love my JE, but if I was to go MPV-racing, I would get a J63 V6 :-)

The other conclusion is that you are looking at a very nice car :-)

My car had swivel front seats, which was good when driving my grandmother around.

However, - nomatter how much I go on about how wonderful these cars are, I cannot ignore the fact that they are NOT as reliable as a Mercedes (or possibly a Volvo?). Roy here on the forum will tend to disagree and claim that properly maintained, they are just fine - but whatever the reason, they DO have more problems with the typical French things (electrics in particular).

But at least the chassis is warm galvanized, so rust is not a major concern.

As you can probably judge by the posts on this forum, a little mechanical inclination will help sort out many things - and there is certainly a lot of help to get here as well. Aforementioned Roy is a trained Renault engineer, and has a habit of pointing out the fault even before it has been fully described. Thats at least my experience with my cars :-)

Will Falconer/MatraMagic is based just south of Bristol, which cannot be far from West Wales, but he is mainly a source of parts - although he might know places to get help.  ( http://www.matramagic.co.uk/ )

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: