| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: non-original spare parts  (Read 5912 times)
andyowl

New exhaust "straight through" - good sound!

« on: April 05, 2009, 04:21:28 pm »

Spyros suggested that "Quinton Hazell" are  makers of "sub-standard" spare parts....

I feel I should be arguing in defence of Quinton Hazell and other "non-original" component manufacturers!

I know many European car manufacturers wanted the EU to pass laws requiring that even old cars like ours should not be allowed to use "pattern" parts supplied by companies other than the original car manufacturer. I am pleased that their understandable greed, with a "captive" market, was not  accepted by the EU Commission and that we are still allowed to fit non-original replacement parts and to make our own judegment on the quality and suitability of those parts. I think this is very good policy and support it!

I once had similar doubts about the use of non-original spare parts but when I found out that Q-H actually made the parts that Rover, Chrysler and other "car manufacturers" claimed where of their own manufacture I changed my mind. Why pay three or four times the price for the identical item? It makes no sense unless the car is still under warranty and you have no choice.

(I just had my 3 year old Honda Accord serviced by the local Honda dealer in order to maintain the extended warranty that came with the car when I bought it 12 months ago. They charged me more than I paid for a complete Bagheera and still failed to notice that one front tyre had a bulge and a split in the sidewall. I deliberatley chose to have the 3 year safety check done by my favourite non-franchise garage who noticed the dangerous tyre and maybe stopped me having a serious blow-out on the motorway. Are main dealers perfect and economic?? I don't think so!

So I use my own judgement and fit parts from those whom I consider to be reliable component manufacturers such as Q-H.  And have done so for many years!

Discuss.....

Andy

Back in business for fun!
Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:52:33 pm »

Andy,

Sorry to have disturbed your main topic. This was not my intention.

However, from experience, I think that some parts are not of the same standards as others.
For instance, I used QH bearings and after a year... one started to go. With the SKF one ( 4 times more expensive), I don't have this issue
I replaced a steering arm with a Spidan reference (inner ball joint). This because I failed the MOT with my Solara (same part in the Bagheera). 3 years later, the issue is back. The other side has still the original one but the spidan is worned out. I didn't try the MOT because I know the issue. And it's the model which is squeased and not tighten by a nut. So you need to get all the steering rack out to change itµ
Same with QH track rod end...
andyowl

New exhaust "straight through" - good sound!

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:08:21 am »

Clearly you have had bad experience with sub-standard parts and I cannot argue with that. I would always choose SKF quality bearings when available.

My experience was largely gained in the last decade (1990 - 2000) when most of my car restoration work was done. I have  only recently started again with Baggy Joe and competition activity. Maybe your experience is more recent and perhaps reflects the availability of lower quality parts from the orient?

So much of British and mainland European manufacturing industry has closed down in favour of buying parts in the East that I don't suppose QH make all their own parts now as they did before.

It would be interesting to hear from others about their experiences.

So I thank you for your experience and I will check quality more carefully in future.

Andy

Back in business for fun!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: