| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: repainting murena, what color?  (Read 16398 times)
Oskar

« on: April 15, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »

after summer it will begin, a new paint will be applied to the pretty poor and bad bodypanels

question is what color?

racing green or a cool french original (to krede and michal request Wink) probably a darker tone

I think its darkbluebrown now  and brown interior

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:05:34 pm »

British Racing Green was an original colour on the Murena Smiley

PS: Hope you don't mind that I've moved this to the Murena board.

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 06:07:17 pm »

British Racing Green was an original colour on the Murena
  Wasn't that called Hudson Green though?  I can't imagine any French company painting a car British Racing Green.  Anyway the only colour for a Matra is French Blue  Wink
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:51:17 pm »

I'll be painting mine White as soon as I find a place to do it... (and the time)
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 01:28:18 am »

Wasn't that called Hudson Green though?

It was indeed.

"Entente Cordiale" and everything, but you're right - of course not British :-)

Actually, Hudson Green is one of the colours where the 2.2 sills look the best.

(I drove a Hudson Green 2.2 back in 1999 while my car got its heart transplant - how
is THAT for a curtesy car ? )

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
JL

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:19:28 am »

If we are talking paint issues, here are mine. When I got the car the laquer layer was peeling and there were loads of blisters on the paint, I decided that the only action was to sand off the laquer layer and respray!

Only after much sanding I found that the car has had 3 resprays on top of the original paint - Hudson Green. I have also found that some of the layers have reacted with each other.

Another interesting thing is that now I have sanded much of the car, where the blisters were and dust has landed on the car, the dust appears to have stained as though it is damp; from this I can only guess that the resprays were to cure the blistering problem but it seems that the only cure is to remove all of the paint and let the car dry out properly.

Here are some pictures, not in any real order and I have also included a couple of some parts before and after cleaning using paint stripper and electrolysis; I have marked the various layers for interest on one of the pictures.

Regards
John
JL

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:22:48 am »

Hello again

Looks like only one picture arrived! try again.

John
Oskar

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 01:50:49 pm »

nice pics!  Like it  Smiley

but you are doing everything on the car?
why dont you remove the panels for easier work? 

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 02:04:48 pm »

Here are some pictures, not in any real order and I have also included a couple of some parts before and after cleaning using paint stripper and electrolysis; I have marked the various layers for interest on one of the pictures.

Do I remember wrongly, or did you or someone else in here have an article on electolyse cleaning of parts....?

2010 Mazda 3 1,6  Diesel Gunmetal Blue
1983 Matra Murena 2.2 Platine
50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Oskar

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 02:22:28 pm »

Do I remember wrongly, or did you or someone else in here have an article on electolyse cleaning of parts....?

I have a small article Smiley

in short, kausticsoda, zinkplates for boats (biltema) and batterycharger

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 02:27:05 pm »

Ah, found it now... But is it abviceable to use caustic soda...? seem to have read that it can be to agressive and that it is the current that does most of the work, so one would be just as good of just using some kind of salts in the water.... Anybody has any thoughts?

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
JL

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 03:00:26 pm »

Hi RazorbackNOR
I did use caustic soda but I believe that you can use different salt compounds, one small advantage is that if you have any residual paint on the parts then the caustic soda tends to soften and remove it, but always take care with caustic soda wear eye protection gloves etc. etc.

Oskar
I must admit that I did not intend for the work to reach these epic proportions but in fact only last night I was contemplating removing the front wings to giver me better access to replace the door hinge pins - I will see how feel this evening!

Regards to all
John
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 03:10:35 pm »

Removing the front wings is a piece of cake.... the rear ones however... now that is a different matter entirely!!!
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 08:58:47 pm »

I did use caustic soda but I believe that you can use different salt compounds,
You can also use washing soda (sodium carbonate)  Less dangerous than sodium hydroxide and probably easier to obtain.
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 04:05:47 pm »

suffolkpete, thats easy for you to say living in the UK... Try that in Norway where EVERYTHING is restricted, and when you don't even know the norwegian name of the stuff....  Cheesy

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: