| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace MkIII 2.2 RT Diesel - any well known issus?  (Read 8714 times)
ellmo

« on: March 26, 2014, 07:28:09 pm »

My Espace Mk II 2.1TD finally died recently when the turbo oil hose let go and emptied the sump, with subsequent engine seizure. Not so bad, the car has been across Europe many times and had 215000 miles done. I'm looking at a MkIII 2.2 RT, as all the revews of the 2.2DCI made me shudder. Is the 2.2 RT anything like as reliable as the MkII 2.1 TD?. I'm aware of hydraulic clutch (a pet hate of mine) and a digital dash. Is there an EGR valve to get gummed up? Are these a problem? What's the timing belt job like? Any other advice much appreciated with thanks.
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:59:34 pm »

As with every manufacturer there is allways a monday car! Don't be too put off with the dci. I was until I bought one last summer for the family holiday to Germany. The biggest problem with any engine is dirty oil. I learnt this on a visit to the lab at the esso oil refinery. Their new oils (synthetic) dont carbonate & go black like veg oils do & engines are lasting longer. But of course most people choose the cheapst oil they can when it comes to servicing, that is even if they do have it serviced. To keep any engine lubricated the oil has to be clean, as soon as it has carbon deposits those carbon particles are wearing out the components they come into contact with.  A clean oil will help keep the egr valve cleaner for longer also. Every diesel with an egr has the same problem, I had an alfa 2.4 that suffered a blocked egr when i bought it. The later espace has a problem with the egr breaking up & ending up wrecking the engine but I have not heard of this with the phase 3. Yes the turbo can go but you can get a replacement cartridge, I have done one in around an hour. You dont have to take the engine out as renault says. We just picked up a dci with 150k on it. The previous owner has a receipt for £2,500.00 he spent on having the turbo, cam belt, & glow plugs done! He was somewhat stitched up we think! The dash & body controller can be problematic but can be fixed or replaced with second hand quite cheapley. I have seen the price of these cars rise & the mk4 price fall. I know what version I prefer. Good luck with your quest. Brian.
ross

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:35:11 pm »

Hi,
Like most of us Espace owners we have a love-hate relationship with them, in much the same way as marmite.
I have owned all the "marks" of the Espace and it would seem that the newer they get the more unreliable they get.
I currently have a 2.1td and a 2.2dci and I need to run the 2.1td to use when the gearbox or turbo or big ends or injectors etc., etc., give up on the dci engine.
In the 3 years I have owned my 05 plate dci I have had the engine out 5 times for one problem or another.
My 2.1td is 20 years old with close to 200,000 on the clock, and apart from the cambelt and a very recent new clutch, the first one I believe, it has never given me any trouble.
Yes the laquer is peeling, and the roof colour is nearly gone, but it would take me anywhere I need to go in complete confidence.
I have always used mineral oil in it, and a can of additive, with every annual oil change, and I had a local diesel mechanic test it recently and he gave it a clean bill of health.
My advice would be to get another engine for your 2.1td and carry on for another trouble free 200,000 miles.
When my 05 plate dci is running it is a joy to drive and so versatile, but something has gone wrong with the robust building of the Renault diesel engines, and gearboxes, and to find one with more than 100,000 on a single engine is rare.
If you need a 2.2 tubo diesel engine, from a year 2000 model let me know, as it is sat in my garage gathering dust. It came from a donor car that the electronics has failed, and was scrapped because it was uneconomic to fix.
Best of luck.
Regards
Ross

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
ellmo

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:52:43 pm »

Many thanks for your advice, gents. I picked up a 1999 2.2 DT at the weekend, aware that it needed a new o/s cv joint. It drives very smoothly on the motorway and I think it returns much better fuel economy than the old 2.1td. Barely room to swing a 10mm spanner inside the engine bay though! I'm going to replace the drive shaft (replacement complete £50!), which looks like a simple job. I've noticed an accumulation of oil below the front radiator, where two beefy hoses attach. The Renault manual I've downloaded identifies this as the oil cooler! Being aluminium, with all the salt that goes on the road, it must be very vulnerable. I think it's the later one with hoses at opposite ends. Are there any O-rings/connector seals to replace when re-joining? I've found a Nissens replacement for OEM 6025.310.186 for reasonable money. I'm still tempted to swap the engine in the old 2.1 casualty, but don't really have the space for it!
BrianM

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 01:28:08 pm »

We had a 1999 dt for some months, I sold it on to a friend who then hammered it around the motorways of Germany at top speed. He amazed his friend there who was a renault dealer, in exceeding 260k miles with no problems. It then cam back to me & I sold it on to a friend & he then sold it on to someone from London. So you should have no probs! fingers crossed/touch wood.  Grin

Ross, any Idea on the miles on the engine you have. I would like it for one of mine.
Brian
ross

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 08:31:43 pm »

Hi Brianm,

The engine has done just over 90,000, and it has had a new cambelt fitted so it would be ready to fit to my espace, but I traded my espace for my current dci, so it never got fitted.
It ran perfectly but has been sat in my garage for 2 years now.
It is a complete engine, turbo, alternator, etc.,
All it needs is a dual mass flywheel and clutch, as I used them in the espace I sold.

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
BrianM

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 10:36:55 am »

I think I mis read, its a tdi, so not direct injection dci? do you have an engine code. Ta, no hurry Smiley
Brian.
ross

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:07:58 pm »

hi Brianm,

the engine is a 2.2 turbo diesel from a year 2000 espace, and I think the engine code is G8T-743.

It is not the latest DCI variant.

hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

I hope I have attached a photo of the engine being removed from the car.

Regards

Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
BrianM

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:00:07 pm »

A sad site  Cry
Many thanks Ross, but it is the g9t I'm looking for.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: