| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: VR6 or V5 in Murena  (Read 8065 times)
Murena IRL

« on: April 27, 2009, 01:15:36 am »

Has anyone done this conversion yet? I have heard a few people mention it.

How big a job is it?  What modifications are needed. What transmission would u use?

RazorbackNOR

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:16:42 am »

The only conversion involving more than 4cyl I have hear of, are Alfa 146 V6 that some have done. Carjoy makes a bracket for the engine, and need to replace the shafts too.

2010 Mazda 3 1,6  Diesel Gunmetal Blue
1983 Matra Murena 2.2 Platine
50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:25:07 am »

I'll correct you on that  Wink

The Alfa V6 is the one found in the 164...

If anyone is going for that conversion, do not get the drive shafts from Carjoy, they are to short!!!

The only conversion involving more than 4cyl I have hear of, are Alfa 146 V6 that some have done. Carjoy makes a bracket for the engine, and need to replace the shafts too.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:00:19 pm »

How is your own conversion comming along Waldo?
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:33:56 pm »

The only conversion involving more than 4cyl I have hear of.....

Or less than 4 cylinders..... Cool

Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:00:41 pm »

Hi Krede,

It's been pretty much at stand still... have had to many things to do as usual, but I'm positive about the project  Wink

Should get some work done on the HDI soon, as I have now replaced the engine that caught fire last summer so one project less to do  Smiley

I will keep you posted Krede...

How is your own conversion comming along Waldo?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 07:11:07 pm »

Has anyone done this conversion yet? I have heard a few people mention it.

This was one engine I seriously looked at a few years ago, since it is a six cylinder, but it is about the same dimensions as the 2.2 Tagora unit fitted.  Furthermore, since it has a single cylinder head the inlet and exhaust manifolds are on the same sides as the original and it seemed like an ideal choice and in my opinion a better one in terms of maintenance and room to fit, than the Alfa V6.

How big a job is it?  What modifications are needed. What transmission would u use?

There are several reasons why I did not go any further after my initial interest.  I worked at Mercedes at the time and they had fitted this engine to the then new V-Class MPV (the Vito van made more plush but still nowhere near as good an MPV as the Espace III!)  Even after only a short while in production the single row cam drive chains were getting noisy and had to be replaced (under warranty of course) but I found the chain is at the flywheel end of the engine, so it is a major engine out and strip to replace!  Compared to the reliable duplex chain in the 2.2, this was not a good omen.

Next, although the dimensions of the engine, which I was able to measure whilst the units were out of the V-Class being repaired, were very similar to the original 2.2 and could have made it a good replacement, I was not keen on other things, like no engine driven water pump - they used an electric remote one, and the starter was mounted on the gearbox and faced the opposite way to the original, complicating any bell housing mods. to fit the engine to the existing transaxle.  There were other considerations which I have since forgotten; and I'm never keen on replacing an engine with something totally different as you simply cannot engineer it correctly like the manufacturer does as you just don't have the information or expertise, and the unit becomes completely non-standard with even more unique parts than the original, which was made in such small number that original parts are already now a problem or becoming expensive.

All credit to those like Bart who fit something completely different (how is that rotary going these days?) but the amount of work and money involved I could not justify spending nor would I want to alter such a beautiful car anyway.

So I prefer to stay with the original and if maintained properly it is a fine unit with plenty of torque, and reasonable performance with a Holbay or re-profiled cam.  Personally my view is that anyone who wants more than 180 bhp should not really have a Murena but buy something else...

Roy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:20:53 pm by roy4matra » Logged

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 09:15:24 pm »

The vr6 is a great powerplant when its in good condition.... but a word of warning.. the cam chain need to be changed regularly... and that's a huge write off both in labour and parts... and that is why many 2'nd had engines haven't had them replaced.
If the chain come loose it will damage its sprocket.. which is an integral part of the crankshaft.. thus a new crank is needed... needless to say those aren't cheap!.
The guy sitting nest to me in class is a long time vw mechanic.. and the horror stories he has told me have convinced me to stay well clear og these engines.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: