| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Engine cover fasteners  (Read 13778 times)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 02:21:24 pm »

The engine cover on the Murena is held in place by a pair of brackets with a screw that goes into a nut in the deck. The nut is rectangular and "floats" in the deck, held in place in a cradle in the sheet metal.

The problem on my Murena is that the cradle has rusted and no longer keeps the nut from falling out of the cradle. If I were to remove the screw completely, the nut will fall into the chassis. I can see no way to get in there to hold on to the nut or to re fasten it, short of cutting a hole in the deck.

I was wondering if anyone has refurbished this little part and has some suggestions. Obviously I could just weld a new nut in place, but I am hoping there is a way to get in there and I just haven't found it yet. Smiley

You can buy the correct caged nuts for these clamps and they are easy to fit.  I always keep some stock.  Usually one of the 'ears' breaks off, mostly from over-tightening the wing bolts.  To fit the new ones you simply insert them from one end of the hole and slide them towards the other end until the nut will drop in (as it has the underside chamfered to allow it) then slide the hole back towards the centre putting both edges of the nut under the chassis hole to brace against it as you tighten the wing nut.

Renault part number: 77 01 397 154 I think but it is a while since I bought some so please check.  They come in a pack of 20  These also fit in the front chassis to hold the front bumper and driving lamp brackets and since the lamps earth via this bracket is it good to have these bolted securely.

Roy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:34:50 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: