| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Passenger side window could not close  (Read 12012 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« on: May 23, 2009, 04:38:42 pm »

When I drove the Espace home from the mechanic after the engine job, I found that the passenger side window couldn't close! I drove home with it open all the way  Roll Eyes

At home, I tried to find out what was wrong, but ended up powering the window motor directly on the switch connector to close the window. At least, I knew that the motor was all right...

Initially, I thought the passenger side switch was to blame, and took it apart and bent the terminals so it could act as a bypass connector, still allowing the window to be operated from the driver's side. But when that didn't help, I checked the other switch, and found out that it was probably the defective part! So two new switches ordered from my regular Renault parts source.

They arrived yesterday, and I fitted them last evening. Alas, the problem was still the same: The window would wind down - NOT up.

It turned out the drivers side door wiring connector had a defective terminal:

And more, the insulation was also broken on two wires:

Apparantly, the wires and the connector pin have been damaged by opening and closing of the door, and since the wires run loose inside the rubber hose, they have been able to move freely back and forth, rubbin the insulation apart, and eventually breaking the connector pin.

This is where it may become relevant to others here on the forum, my car can't be the only one suffering from this problem.

Solution?

Well... nails are handy for all sorts of jobs, aren't they? (look below the grey wire)

I simply pushed a shortened nail into the connector, forming contact between the broken off wire and the remaining end of the connector pin. After taking the above photo, I wrapped it all well in insulation tape to keep the nail in and the wires from moving too much. I hope it will stay in now.

I'm going to look for a new (used?) wiring loom for the door now, unless I can find new connector pins for this particular connector, but Renault usually prefers to sell completely looms, so I'm not optimistic. But the window is working again now! Smiley

/Anders

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 04:40:41 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
renaultbiler

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:05:25 pm »

I am quite sure you can buy these connectors separate - i did that when i renewed the fuse box and connectors on our old J637. I think they where 10 pc in each plastic bag then, but anyways they should be able to buy! Only thing is that they require a special press tool to fix it like it is supposed to be, but as you know it can be done with a normal press tool and perhaps some soldering.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 07:12:44 pm »

It's been a while. Not surprising, my simple fix wasn't reliable.

I am quite sure you can buy these connectors separate - i did that when i renewed the fuse box and connectors on our old J637. I think they where 10 pc in each plastic bag then, but anyways they should be able to buy! Only thing is that they require a special press tool to fix it like it is supposed to be, but as you know it can be done with a normal press tool and perhaps some soldering.

I have tried - Renault does not stock them. Only the complete cable loom, which is horrendously expensive. I might be able to find compatible ones, but I decided to fix it by soldering a new piece of wire on the remaining part of the contact.

Fortunately there was enough left on the contact to solder on. I think it will be fairly reliable. That was then joined with the old wire:

If I find the time, I'll traverse RS Components' catalogue to try to find some matching new pins for the connector housings.
I should have taken measurements, but forgot  Roll Eyes

/Anders

Used to own:
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 06:54:48 pm »

Hi Anders. Just to let you know. I have also had similar problems with broken wires due to door movements. In my case I found out just by luck that the left rear door did not lock (Only good knows how long time this error has been there).  I also cured the problem by means of soldering.

Best Regards
Bo
renaultbiler

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:13:50 pm »

Just a tip for later "events"..

The other day i was visiting a local Wurth shop and found they had a display board packed with different automotive pins and connectors - and i am sure i recognized some of them Roll Eyes
They only sold them in boxes a 100 pc or so but they arent that expencive.
So if nothing else helps on repairing connectors here or there it might be worth a try.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 07:40:05 pm »

Just a tip for later "events"..

Events of this kind will happen, so I'll keep an eye for this. Thanks for the tip, Tom!

Used to own:
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 11:31:14 am »

About a week ago, we noticed the rear drivers side door did not lock. Here's why!

I have now fixed it by soldering in an extra piece of wire, putting a cable tie around the cable, and wrapping the bundle of wires in tape. I hope it lasts a long time Wink

/Anders

Used to own:
2cv

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 01:09:21 pm »

Hi Anders

Try the link below he might have what you are looking for.

Lars

http://stores.ebay.de/FHK-MOTORS-Teile-Shop?_trksid=p4340.l2563
mawds

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:41:03 am »

Just to add to this, when I bought mine the offside passenger window wouldn't operate and the door wouldnt lock. Same thing multiple wires broken due to the flexing. I pulled the loom out of the door and soldered them all up and heatshrunk them. The trouble is the wiring is old and stiff now so is prone to cracking and it went again. If I was to do it again I would pull the loom and one by one ut the wires back almost to the connector, cut off 100-150mm (ensure any potential bad bits have gone) of the loom and replace with a flexible silicone insulated type wire. Heatshring all joints but not too long heatshrink is not that flexible and don't use loads of insulation tape as that will also cause break points elsewhere by stiffening the wire.
mhi

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 12:17:24 am »

I have had a door lock fail because one wire in the door hinge area had broken. It took a while to find, but was cheap to fix with two solder joints and a short length of new wire.

1994 Espace RXE 2.0 (J636)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: