| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Paint Finish  (Read 13519 times)
JL

« on: June 01, 2009, 02:47:18 pm »

Can anyone tell me what should the paint finish and colour of the front panel be at the base of the windscreen?
Regards
John
Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:55:00 pm »

Orig. it was a matt black finish... with a rough structure to the paint finish, kind of like the anti chipping paint found on the side panels.

The green car we took apart last year still had the orig. paint, maybe there's a picture somewhere on the forum?

Can anyone tell me what should the paint finish and colour of the front panel be at the base of the windscreen?
Regards
John
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 05:42:09 pm »

I will, at some point, be repainting that panel.. any suggestions as to what paint would be suitable to achieve that finish?
JL

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 05:47:17 pm »

Thanks Waldo
That is what I have just very easily removed. Water has obviously penetrated the coating, travelled underneath and I have rust in some places; I wondered if this was a finish put on by a past owner - clearly not!

I have seen a similar finish to this on old dashboards (MGB) but I am not sure about the durability of dashboard paint, I think that I may either use a satin black finish or car colour.
Regards
John
JL

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 05:53:27 pm »

Found the product link product link for crackle finish

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8219&frostProductName=BLACK%20Wrinkle%20Finish%20(310ml)&catID=&frostCat=&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

Also there is a link to a datasheet which says it is weather resistant

http://www.frost.co.uk/images/datasheets/P110_datasheet.pdf

Regards
John
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:55:49 pm by JL » Logged
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 07:10:31 pm »

Hmmm.. I have never been a fan of aerosol cans .
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 09:04:39 am »

Thanks Waldo
That is what I have just very easily removed. Water has obviously penetrated the coating, travelled underneath and I have rust in some places; I wondered if this was a finish put on by a past owner - clearly not!
-
John

On my car water has also gotten under the black paint and it comes off in large flakes. Rust has probably lifted the bottom left corner of the windshield, so it is now de-laminating and turning white.  Sad  I have just gotten a brand new windshield and will be putting it in when I paint the car.

Once the old black paint is removed, I will get rid of the rust with phosphoric acid (to convert the rust). Once I have bare metal, I will use an epoxy primer to seal it. There is a tendency to have water standing in the lowest points below the windshield, but the epoxy primer will make it completely water proof. Besides, it provides and excellent surface to sand, and the paint to adhere to.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:18:31 pm »

How about some of that por 15 stuff?
JL

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 02:20:14 pm »

The corner of my windscreen has also lifted slightly but no staining. I am killing the rust and then applying either an acid etch primer or epoxy primer. I am thinking of painting the front scuttle car colour in 2 pack which should supply a good seal.

When this has hardened there is still a good enough gap between the frame and the windscreen for  me to fill the joint with a polyurethane adhesive, this will not only stick the screen back in but will also fill the gap to stop water lying there and causing yet more corrosion - I hope!

John
Oskar

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 06:22:23 pm »

can you please take some photo of the area?

can it be done whith some simple transparent silicone on top of the screen/surface?

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 10:31:24 pm »

When this has hardened there is still a good enough gap between the frame and the windscreen for  me to fill the joint with a polyurethane adhesive, this will not only stick the screen back in but will also fill the gap to stop water lying there and causing yet more corrosion - I hope!

Or the water will stay under the polyurethane and will rust faster... on Talbot cars they made special chassis protection by a lot of plies. They were so sure that it will protect the cars, that they gave 7 years warranty on all Talbot cars. When it was done well, you can find rust-free Solara, Tagora or Horizon at this time, but when the water got under the protect plies, the car was rusty in 2 years  Sad so make it as good as You can  Wink

JL

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 10:13:31 pm »

Hi Oskar

I do not think that it can be done with clear silicone, the sealer needs a good area to grip onto and I do not think silicone is durable enough. I have attached pictures of the area below the screen with the old sealant cleaned out. If this gap is treated and painted and then sealed to the level of the screen with a good quality adhesive/sealer, water should not get back in again. Bearing in mind that they use this adhesive to stick panels onto cars it should be very durable. The other pictures are where water has crept under the black paint and caused rust.

Regards
John
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 10:29:49 am »

Regards
John

It should be a black crackle finish paint John.  However, it seems the factory never used an etch primer before putting it on, as on most cars it appears to have lifted.  If you totally clean it off first, then use a galvanised etch primer and then respray with a black crackle finish paint it will be better than new.  A friend did this on his car and it was fine afterwards.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: