| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: murena with ac?  (Read 19093 times)
Oskar

« on: June 05, 2009, 05:29:48 pm »

anyone know of this? if the centerconsole is done with space for a matrix?

theres however space for a long and small matrix by the feets and a radial fan fitted behind.

its pretty easy to work a ac (been working with it some time) so it should be a pretty easy fit on a murena

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:37:27 pm »

And where to put the compressor for it? And those long pipes to compressor - cooler - A/C unit, etc...?

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 06:14:45 pm »

That should certainly be possible. Here's a link to a kit used by kit car builders in the UK:

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/universal-air-conditioning--heater-kit-aircon-294-p.asp

Running pipes under the car isn't a problem on the Murena any more than other mid engined cars. It's frequently done with mid engined kit cars like the Ultima GTR.

This is just to show that it can be done - the kit above is a bit pricey IMO Wink

/Anders
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:18:02 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:27:28 pm »

I guess you could use the compressor and brackets from the peugeot 505 turbo if it will fit in the engine bay.
But the pipes and are gonna be a bitch to run along the bottom of the car.. and the condenser will restrict the airflow to the radiator.

Considering the type of vehicle a murena is I wouldnt bother..
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 06:28:10 pm »

Approximately 50 Murenas were exported to Japan, and they were all fitted with AC by the Japanese import company.
I had some years back some correspondence with a Japanese guy (living in the US at the time, if I remember correctly) who had a “Japanese” Murena, but the AC in his car had been removed, and he did not have any documentation or pictures of the installation.

So AC in a Murena: It can be done and it has been done!

Hans
davidewanprice
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 06:46:21 pm »

I'm sure theres a car in the UK with AC, i think it was sold on Fleabay last year.. Maybe its a MEC member... I think Roy would know about this one..
Oskar

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:32:47 pm »

so the centercoole is prepared for an extra matrix or the whole package is swaped? 

the engine is a xu9j4 (16v) and has compressor mountingholes.
(but mounting a magnetic compressor on a non ac-engine cant be so hard.)

but I was more thinking in having either the condensor in the back at the end of the storagebox or where the spare tire usually is.  using long pipes aint a problem

a manually ac only need a on off, 2 preassure switches, dry filter and a vaporator.   and of course the matrix and condenser.   

hmm  maybe a project in 6month? Smiley

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 09:35:17 pm »

Sure.. if you use the car alot... if you only drive it for fun.. I still think its just dead weight on an allready heavy car.... and more things to go wrong of cause Smiley
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 09:52:11 pm »

Sure.. if you use the car alot... if you only drive it for fun.. I still think its just dead weight on an allready heavy car.... and more things to go wrong of cause Smiley

Exactly - my way of thinking is: how to make it lighter? But everything will be visible and won't be in harmony with original codition Sad

Oskar

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 11:21:09 pm »

ohh  sorry mr. original who never cuts his hair or mustach  Grin

the question was never about origionality of the car itself, just the ac and its possibility Wink

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 08:17:02 am »

No no, I was not talking about originality this time Wink I only said that I agree with Krede that if it could be done, it means a lot of kgs plus. And what is more important at sportcar than power/weight ratio?  Wink

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 10:59:02 am »

anyone know of this? if the centerconsole is done with space for a matrix?

theres however space for a long and small matrix by the feets and a radial fan fitted behind.

its pretty easy to work a ac (been working with it some time) so it should be a pretty easy fit on a murena

I would love an AC in my Murena too. But I am not prepared to try to fit a traditional AC unit, because of the extensive mechanical modifications that are required.

On the other hand, I may try an alternative solution, using a number of peltier elements. I have five peltier elements, each 4 square inches big. I am thinking of creating a duct where they are mounted, dividing the duct in two, with some serious heat sinks on each side. Then blow air from the cold side into the car and venting the hot side to the outside. Right now it is just a thought, no serious planning has taken place, but I have studied the possibilities and challenges involving peltier elements.

One thing seems sure, it will require replacing the alternator with a heavy duty model (80 amps or so). How much cold air can be created this way is yet to be calculated, but since you can buy (beer) coolers, Grin based on the peltier principle, that plugs into the cigarette lighter in cars, then it seems that the solid state AC is a possibility. At least it can keep my beer cold Grin Grin Grin

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oskar

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 09:09:30 am »

not a bad idea considering the cockpit is very small in a murena, needing less cold air to cool.

but 5x75w elements is alot Cheesy    375w total but I know mondeo 94 has a 90amp generator.  however in your case you could use the existing heater and run cool water in it!

go for it  Grin

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 10:40:07 am »

not a bad idea considering the cockpit is very small in a murena, needing less cold air to cool.

but 5x75w elements is alot Cheesy    375w total but I know mondeo 94 has a 90amp generator.  however in your case you could use the existing heater and run cool water in it!

go for it  Grin
Oskar, you are a genious.  Cool I should have thought of that myself.

The best way to do this is to put a bypass valve into water line for the heater, so that it is possible to circulate a small amount of water through the heater and cooling it with a peltier unit under the hood. No extra holes to cut in the firewall for air ducts. It will be clean and simple. You just moved this from wishfull thinking, to a definite project. Now if I can just make it cool my beer too.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Matranaut par excellence Cool
DX702682

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 02:52:03 pm »

Hello, I'm new to this forum.  My Murena had a cooler unit (not a complete AC) ,
obviously attached when it was brought in Japan by somebody (the importer, maybe). 
It worked well, but since the unit was designed for right-hand driver cars, the knobs
were placed on the right hand side of the unit.  The unit was set in front of
the passenger by removing the hanging shelf, so the knobs were way to far to reach. 
The compressor was located near the right rear driving axle mounted via hand-made
steel plate and welded pulley.  I  had to remove the compressor when I changed
the exhaust to MatraMagic stainless one from the rusted original because they
interfered.  The cooler united consumed quite a lot of power and driving performance
was deteriorated, apparently, so then, why just drive a Corolla.  I'm glad now
being in California - I don't need an AC.  Hisashi
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: