| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shock absorbers  (Read 9603 times)
andyowl

New exhaust "straight through" - good sound!

« on: May 07, 2009, 10:11:55 am »

Does anyone have shock absorbers they would recommend for a Series 2 Bagheera. Rear ones particularly needed.

Andy Owler

Back in business for fun!
Murena IRL

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:43:30 am »

New fronts here for starters

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBERS-FITS-MATRA-BAGHEERA-SIMCA-1100_W0QQitemZ200317633750QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item200317633750&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:19:00 pm »

The only ones I would recommend are DeCarbon sport
andyowl

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:55:56 am »

Thanks for your replies!

The eBay front shock absorbers mentioned by "Murena IRL" I have already bought and fitted (the vendor has still not taken the item off eBay although he said that he only had one set). They look very smart and time will tell if they are any good. They are branded "Unipart" and made in Germany.

I had not heard of DeCarbon Sport before, thank you! I will check them out and report back if I find any part numbers.

Phil Kitch (MECUK Bagheera expert) tells me that the rear shockers were unique to the Bagheera and that is why they are so difficult to find.

Baggy Joe failed his MoT test last week! Three failure  items were noted, two of them entirely my own fault! The rear number plate light did not work (it was still in my pocket without a bulb in it!), the front left side shocker lower mounting bush was very worn (it was fine after I had tightened the bolt properly!) and there was bad corrosion around the top of the right rear shock absorber. He was not joking - we had just not seen it! That is now fixed as well so the next MoT will be on Wednesday.

I'm off to a photoshoot with the Rene Bonnet Djet 2 this morning, so I get a  rest from spannering for a change. A day off that I cannot afford with the Prescott "La Vie En Bleu" weekend only 10 days away.

I did my first "Sprint" on Sunday in our original Baggy Grey. 12th in Class (out of 12) and 77th overall, or rather "under-all". Good fun and I was getting quicker all the time. I was next to a very nice Talbot-Lotus Horizon. Just a bit out-classed! There was lots of interest in the Bagheera and the Matra profile is raised!

Andy Owler

Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:17:27 pm »

Phil Kitch (MECUK Bagheera expert) tells me that the rear shockers were unique to the Bagheera and that is why they are so difficult to find.

Andy,

I'm not so sure that they were unique.
In the Simca Talbot Matra world, yes they are. But, I heard that they were similar to an Alfa romeo front shock model.
I have a pair of the DeCarbon so I can provide you a ref # if needed (front only) but they are difficult to come by.
A more easy brand to find is the Koni. There are several models but I don't like them that much. I have the fealing that they work only in compression.
On my black X 79, at the rear, I have Politechnic ones which are actualy bilsteins. The problem is to find the ref. One day, I can have a look. Don't by pelitechnic because the red paint hardly justify the price

Regards
andyowl

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:20:36 am »

That's a shame, I rather like red shock absorbers!

The Bilstein number for the rears would be good when you have a moment.

Thanks  Andy

PS My right elbow is seriously painful this morning after a day changing gear in the Djet's Renault Estafette gearbox. I find the Djet great in small quantities but hard work to drive for a whole day. How they raced and rallied it I do not know. They were made of stronger stuff in those days!

Andy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: