| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ignition  (Read 6452 times)
davidewanprice
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:48:13 pm »

My ignition is starting to play up, I say starting, its taking me on average 2 minutes to get the key to turn, anyone got info on where the locks came from or what can be made to fit?
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:00:05 pm »

Got the same problem.  I can only turn the key if it is inserted with the groove facing towards me.

Ignition locks don't like to support the weight of this:

That's what causing the problems

davidewanprice
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:08:55 am »

I guess its just worn in the mechanism, i have to try my key in both ways, twiddle like crazy and if i'm lucky, it works. It seems to have got a lot worse since my cars been stood over the winter.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:02:49 am »

I guess its just worn in the mechanism, i have to try my key in both ways, twiddle like crazy and if i'm lucky, it works. It seems to have got a lot worse since my cars been stood over the winter.
It can also be a worn key. I have two, seemingly identical, keys. Both will open the doors, but only one will turn the ignition without trouble. The other one requires a fair amount of wiggling in order to work. When I compared them I found that the key that's not working is worn flat on the very tip.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:18:29 pm »

It can also be a worn key.
My car came with two keys in 1995 - I guess the door locks had been replaced after a breakin or something. Anyway, I had one key for the doors and another for the ignition.

However, some years down the line (the last 5-8 years) the doors have stopped accepting the original key, but rather are now happy with the original ignition key. ??

They obviously have a life of their own, - but now my car only needs one key.

PS: I keep the old door-key in case my ignitionlock suddenly plays up Smiley

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
davidewanprice
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:30:40 pm »

Sadly when I got mine the original was in very poor shape, so I had 2 new ones made. Maybe i'll try the other new one to see if that helps?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: