| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fuse the unfused  (Read 16058 times)
Bart_Maztra

« on: July 01, 2009, 09:11:36 pm »

The murena have no fuses for the head lights and fog lights. Unprotected. So a short circuit can cause serious damage!.

A cheap simple fix:

Relays with fuses!
Just replace the 4 relays on the circuit board (where the fuses are)

Fast and simple. Just toke 10 minutes (ofwhich 5 minutes spend finding tools)
These relais are bought at conrad for 3,25 euro each. (nr 504357-89)

But there are still plenty unfused circuits left.....

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:05:39 pm »

Thats a good idea to at least protect some circuits.
Wich current can these relays handle?
Nevertheless I always disconnect battery when the car is in rest for more then a few days.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
JV

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 01:16:18 pm »

Good idea, indeed. Thanks.

Jan

Jan Verdam
Matra Murena 2.2S bleue columbia
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 01:46:27 pm »

The murena have no fuses for the head lights and fog lights. Unprotected. So a short circuit can cause serious damage!.
A cheap simple fix:
But there are still plenty unfused circuits left.....
Simple and quick. Only problem is that you have to take the box loose to get to the fuses.  Wink Still, I would love to install the relays on my car, but I cannot find them on Conrad's site.  Sad Do you have a link to them showing the relay?

Jesper and Jan have plans to replace the whole fuse panel board, to use modern fuses and include the unfused circuits. Jesper has already done his as far as I know. I plan to do the same on mine, but in the meantime the relays will do nicely.  Grin Grin

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 06:09:58 pm »

Wich current can these relays handle?
Nevertheless I always disconnect battery when the car is in rest for more then a few days.

These relays comes with 30 amp fuse. Headlights are 55w, so both together will draw 9 amp. A 15 amp fuse would be best.

Simple and quick. Only problem is that you have to take the box loose to get to the fuses.  Wink Still, I would love to install the relays on my car, but I cannot find them on Conrad's site.  Sad Do you have a link to them showing the relay?

It is not the box which needs to come off, it's the plastic bit which holds the circuit board. It is fixed by 4 screws. I was able to exchange the relays without taking the connectors off.

The relay is not showing on the english conrad site.  But is is on the dutch and german site.
www.conrad.com  put 504357 in the search box.

Vehicle wiring products also have them, but much more expensive for excactly the same relays as conrad
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/relays/relays.php

There are 3 relays for dipped beam, high beam and fog light.
What for is the fourth relays?

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:20:29 pm »

These relays comes with 30 amp fuse. Headlights are 55w, so both together will draw 9 amp. A 15 amp fuse would be best.
The fuse is to protect the wiring and the headlamp wiring should be capable of withstanding an over-current for as long as it takes to blow a 30 amp fuse without getting hot.  If you set the rating too low you will have problems with the surge when you switch the lights on or when a bulb fails blowing the fuse.
There are 3 relays for dipped beam, high beam and fog light.
What for is the fourth relays?
According to my service manual, it is for the electric windows.

Incidentally, in my formative motoring years, it was very rare to have fuses in lamp circuits, the theory being that if the fuse failed, the driver could be unexpectedly plunged into darkness at speed.  I used to own an Austin Cambridge and a Morris Oxford, both of which had only two fuses, to protect auxiliary equipment and I believe Fords of the same period had no fuses at all.
P,G,Spaven

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 01:57:19 am »

I'm really sorry, this last post was spot on! These circuits are designed for  purpose! If you modify ANY electrical circuits and then have an accident, (god forbid) especially if it's a fatal crash........ you can see where I'm going surly?  Please don't alter  in built electrical circuitry, it can be extremely dangerous, causing all sorts of potential dangers to occur through YOUR actions making you liable. AT LEAST ASK AN EXPERIENCED AUTO SPARKS.  (think of the little children):-)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: