| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Export a car/bike out of UK  (Read 9569 times)
Bart_Maztra

« on: September 06, 2009, 08:46:32 pm »

A royal enfield 500 bullet would be nice Cool... 
Sometimes i spot a bargan bike on English ebay. like this
I wonder how it works to export a bike (or car) out of the UK.  Is there any paperwork required? Does the last owner need to do something? V5?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:51:17 pm by Bart_Maztra » Logged

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:29:34 am »

If you have a V5C in your name, it's very easy, just complete a declaration that the vehicle is being exported and send it off to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.  The person selling the vehicle could do this, but they may not be willing to do so as they would remain responsible for the vehicle if it turns up on British roads, so you may have to transfer it to yourself first.  Have a look on www.dvla.gov.uk for more information
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 09:43:57 am »

As the seller expect the bike within the country, he most probably is not willing to fill in the export section of the V5c.
So that means the V5 must first be registered to me.

Is it possible to register a V5 to someone without UK passport or adress?

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:49:29 pm »

I think if you cannot  get a V5 for any reason, you can apply for an export certificate.  I don't find the DVLA rules very clear, and I'm a native English speaker! Huh
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:06:01 am »

In Holland the car documents consist of 3 parts. 1st part contains the details of the owner, second part contains the details of the car, 3rd part is the 'passport' of the car.
The buyer is paying the seller a part of the money. The buyer gets the 1st and 3rd part of the car documents.  The buyer has to go to the post office. After showing the 1st, 3rd part and ID, they print a new 1st part car document for the buyer, and a document for the seller to prove he isn't the owner anymore.  Then he gives this document to the seller and the rest of the money.  The seller gives him the 2rd part of the car document.  Transfer done!

I am sure it is different in the UK.   A collegue said that the buyer and seller has to fill in something in the V5, and both persons has to send it to the DVLA??  No need to ID? Fill in a Dutch adress? Fill in a fake adress?

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:41:28 am »

The buyer fills in the seller's details on the V5C and both sign it.  The buyer is given a section of the document as proof of ownership until they receive the new V5C in their name and the rest is sent to the DVLA.  There is a separate section to complete if the vehicle is exported but that has to be completed by the current owner.  What the process is for a vehicle that's sold to a non-UK resident and exported immediately isn't very clear.  It takes about two weeks to get a new V5C in your name.
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:01:23 am »

The buyer fills in the seller's details on the V5C and both sign it.  The buyer is given a section of the document as proof of ownership until they receive the new V5C in their name and the rest is sent to the DVLA.  There is a separate section to complete if the vehicle is exported but that has to be completed by the current owner.  What the process is for a vehicle that's sold to a non-UK resident and exported immediately isn't very clear.  It takes about two weeks to get a new V5C in your name.

Thanks Pete.

Who is sending it to the DVLA? The buyer or seller? At the moment of buy or later on?

It seems like i need the help of an English friend. Fill in his adress in the v5c, and when he receives the new v5c, fill in the export section.

Is it OK if i fill in someone else's adress? Does it mather for the seller?

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 09:08:03 am »

Who is sending it to the DVLA? The buyer or seller? At the moment of buy or later on?
The seller fills it in at he time of purchase.  The problem is that the address in the document is the one that gets all the speeding tickets etc Wink  so you'd have to find someone who trusts you. My advice would be to email the DVLA, you can get the address from their website, and ask the question. It must be a situation that happens quite often.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: