| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New style rear suspension arm.  (Read 8752 times)
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« on: July 11, 2009, 10:51:43 pm »

Well, I have finally started on the project of renovating my gear box. In the process I have taken off both rear suspension arms. The left arm is significantly different from the right one. See photos below. The right arm must be the original. It sounds like a rattle, due to the rust flakes that are inside. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get it out, but may have to enlarge some of the openings to get it all out.

You can see that the left arm has no openings to the inside at all. It is fully welded and looks like it is a single layer, where as the right one seems to have two layers of steel and openings by the bushings. The left arm is quite a bit lighter than the right arm. (they were just wire brushed before the photos were taken, or they would have looked really bad, especially the right arm)

I am wondering if the left arm is from the series that some guys had made here in Denmark. I don't remember who it was, but I sure would like to get the right one replaced with the same type. Anyone know if it is still possible to get them made here? Huh

Update.
I found a mail saying that it was Johnny Hansen from Aabenraa, who had the contact to a machine shop that made them. I have written him to ask if it is still possible to have them made.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:13:06 am by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oskar

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:11:15 pm »

i havent notived it before but I have the same arm.  waiting for the second one from waldo.

but it has 2 round openings

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:02:39 pm »

i havent notived it before but I have the same arm.  waiting for the second one from waldo.

but it has 2 round openings
Do you have a picture of the arm and openings?

When I get a new right side trailing arm, I plan to cut openings in the sides, not very big, but large enough to allow me to have them warm galvanized inside and out. The place that can do it say they just need to be able to drain the excess zink out of the inside when they come out of the bath.

Oskar

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 02:37:49 pm »

ill get you pictures in the weekend. Smiley  where do you get hold of new arm?

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 10:10:19 pm »

ill get you pictures in the weekend. Smiley  where do you get hold of new arm?
They are made here in Denmark. One of the members has contact to a machine shop that manufactures them. They use a heavier guage steel in one layer, instead of the double layer of the original. It requires you to exchange your old trailing arm, as they use your housing for the wheel bearings. My left trailing arm is made this way. You should be able to see the difference on my photos above.

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 01:52:14 am »

Make a hole an find this.
It can't be more worse.

Pic Godfried from matranamia
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:55:38 am by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 04:14:28 pm »

Make a hole an find this.
It can't be more worse.
That is exactly the problem with the original swing arms. Angry The double layer of the construction traps moisture between the layers and they rust away from the inside. From the looks of the pile of rust, half your swing arm is gone from the inside. I would not trust it again if it was on my car. Time for a replacement.  Tongue Tongue

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: