| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Variations on the standard Murena  (Read 14564 times)
davidewanprice
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:52:33 pm »

Over the past few days I entered a new phase of Murena ownership, I now have two! Looking over this second car I noticed a few differences in build between mine and this new one, I was wondering just how many changed took place on the standard car? Has anyone else noticed these or any other changes?

1.   Gearbox, one has push down reverse, the other doesn’t
2.   Choke knob is located on other side (This I knew of already)
3.   Door cards on one car have cushioned area to lean your elbows on when the windows are down.
4.   Door cards also differ slightly in shape around the door handle.
5.   Rear boot stoppers, one car has one (one central), the other 2

I’d be interested (sad I know) to know of other changes that were made over the years.
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:20 pm »

On my old silver 2,2 from 1981:
1) choke on right side from gear lever
2) rear lights were covered by metal boxes from inside of the trunk
3) side windows opening/closing was without clacking in final position

My red 2,2 S from 1983:
1) choke on the left side
2) rear lights are accesible only from outside of the car
3) side windows are clacking in final positions

My wifes yellow 1,6 from 1982:
1) choke on left side
2) as on my old 2,2
3) drivers side window is clacking, but passengers no  Huh Grin

Laurens

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 04:39:37 pm »

I had a 1981 1.6 and now i have a 1982 1.6

the 1.6 from 81 had a skye ( that fake leather thats in the car) border around the roof i remember, the 1982 didn't.

((((( also my 1982 is german by origin and has a plate under the engine, and extra fuses in the rear lights and an extra tank in the cooling fluid circuit. )))))
davidewanprice
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:30:39 pm »

I also now know there were 2 types of alloys, however itsd hard to tell, the only difference is some have larger vains than the others! I beleive German cars had the larger of the two?
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:45:09 pm »

I also now know there were 2 types of alloys, however itsd hard to tell, the only difference is some have larger vains than the others! I beleive German cars had the larger of the two?

Are You sure, that this was about alloys? Wasn't it that steel wheels on 1,6 Murena were larger than wheels from other Talbot cars with the same design?

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:13:38 am »

Are You sure, that this was about alloys? Wasn't it that steel wheels on 1,6 Murena were larger than wheels from other Talbot cars with the same design?

It was. German Murena's had different, better quality alloys than the rest. All Murena 2.2S have the German wheels.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:55:34 am »

Hm, that's interesting. I only knew that paint for export was silver metalic, but for sale in France it was only grey.

davidewanprice
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 08:39:39 am »

And I now have 2 sets of these wheels, lucky me! Can't wait to get a set refurbed and put on my car!

I think there are has already been mentioned here about the dash differing as well, in the corner of my cars it states BAG10, I guess this was the code
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 11:32:34 am »

And I now have 2 sets of these wheels, lucky me! Can't wait to get a set refurbed and put on my car!
While we are on the subject of wheels, does anyone, perhaps someone with a 1.6 who has changed to alloy wheels, have a set of those shiny wheel trims that were fitted to steel wheels, also a steel wheel hub centre?  If so would you like to part with them in exchange for a few beer tokens?
phil75

Matra Passion Member

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:42:51 am »

choke on right side from gear lever = Belgian version

- Philippe -
Matra Murena 2.2 1983 engine 20000 km
Yamaha R1 2004  9000 km (engine)
VW Golf II 1.8 1990 209000 km
Rover 111 1994 155000 km
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 12:08:12 pm »

On the subject of variations to the standard Murena, I can tell that mine was first registered in Switzerland and it has a different instrument panel glass.

http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1504.0;attach=1827;image

It is green and could be from a Baghera, since they seem to have exactly the same layout.

Also, on some there is a switch on the choke and a light showing that it is on. But on mine that lamp position instead shows if there is vacuum to the frog eyes. (Between disk warning and battery light)

http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1504.0;attach=1821;image

Matranaut par excellence Cool
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 09:12:25 am »

Also, on some there is a switch on the choke and a light showing that it is on. But on mine that lamp position instead shows if there is vacuum to the frog eyes. (Between disk warning and battery light)
My car has the vacuum warning light but it doesn't appear to be connected to anything and indeed the wiring diagram doesn't show it as being connected.  It's probably a left-over from the Bagheera.  The handbook I have shows the same light as being a choke warning, which I think is much more useful and is probably fitted to later models as standard.  It would be a simple task to rig up a choke warning light, you would only need a microswitch.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 10:15:48 pm »

Over the past few days I entered a new phase of Murena ownership, I now have two! Looking over this second car I noticed a few differences in build between mine and this new one, I was wondering just how many changed took place on the standard car? Has anyone else noticed these or any other changes?

1.   Gearbox, one has push down reverse, the other doesn’t

Early cars (1980/81) had this detent and split gear lever for reverse, but all later cars had a solid lever and only the stronger spring loading in the gearbox for reverse.

2.   Choke knob is located on other side (This I knew of already)

Choke on right is Belgian spec. car.  All others on left.

3.   Door cards on one car have cushioned area to lean your elbows on when the windows are down.

Not sure exactly what you mean here, and would have to see some photos, but trimming varies between early and late and 1.6 and 2.2 models.

4.   Door cards also differ slightly in shape around the door handle.
5.   Rear boot stoppers, one car has one (one central), the other 2

See above!

I’d be interested (sad I know) to know of other changes that were made over the years.

If you check the parts manual carefully, you can see all the differences, since it has to list them!  I know of plenty but I'm not going to list them all here. :-)

The German laws required certain differences, such as the allow wheels, and rear light wiring.  The German spec. alloys are pressure die-cast not gravity die-cast which are more prone to leaks, and to allow you to know know which is which they changed the fins around the wheels in shape.

Roy

JV

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 10:26:20 pm »

Although in French you can see a lot of small differences between the Murena's of several years on this site:

http://www.espace-murena.com/technique.html and click Particularités.

Jan Verdam
Matra Murena 2.2S bleue columbia
davidewanprice
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 11:17:52 pm »

Thank you Roy, I'm very interested to know more about the rear lighting difference.. How do they differ?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: