| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: booming sound on my 2.2dt  (Read 8619 times)
ross

« on: September 06, 2009, 10:29:17 pm »

After a very pleasant week across the channel, where my 2.2td grand espace covered the best part of 500 miles without any trouble, on returning to England, and on my way home from the ferry, the car suddenly momentarily hesitated, then lost power, and developed a booming noise.
the engine didn't stop, but combined with the lack of power and the booming noise I decided to pull off the motorway and investigate the problem.
the noise seemed to be loudest around the tubo inlet and intercooler plastic ducts, which run along side the battery.
I decided not to continue and called the recovery people to take the car home.
the car was driven onto the recovery truck, and off again when we arrived home.
I have now had a chance to remove the plastic ducts for the intercooler, turbo inlet and air filter, and can find no signs of a problem.
the turbo fan seems to be intact and spins nicely.
has anyone got any ideas ?
Regards
Ross

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
ross

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:13:11 pm »

If anyone is following the saga of my troubles, then here comes the next installment.

I have dropped the engine and gearbox from the car and removed the inlet manifold to gain access to the rocker box.

A visual inspection of the camshaft and its valves etc, has revealed that 2 of the rockers are missing.

As the engine and gearbox are still within the engine bay, I cannot see any further into the rocker box to see what has happened to the missing rockers.

Having been away from home all week I have not had chance to inspect the engine any further, but hope to get on with it this weekend.

This is a bit of a coincidence, as I recently purchased another Espace, 1999 2.2td, for spares or repair, and when I inspected the engine it too had broken rockers.

I hope to be able to make 1 good engine from the 2.

I will keep you informed.

Regards

Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:22:16 pm »

A visual inspection of the camshaft and its valves etc, has revealed that 2 of the rockers are missing.

Shocked

Has the timing belt been broken or slipped? I can't think of any other reason why the rockers would break!  Huh

Good to hear about your spare(s) car. I hope you'll be running again soon!

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
ross

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 09:58:38 pm »

Well, after a very busy day removing the camshaft from my 2.2dt engine I have found the source of the problem.

The camshaft sprocket has what I can only guess is a damper ring inside which has sheared off on my engine, and was hanging loose.

The only good bit of news is that the rockers that were missing have not broken, just jumped off.

I have cheked the camshaft sprocket on my spare engine and found that the key has sheared off allowing the sprocket to turn out of alignment with the camshaft, which would explain why I have broken the rockers on this engine.

Unfortunately the camshaft sprockets on both engines are damaged in different ways so it looks as if I will need to source replacement sprockets to get the engines going again.

Does anybody know if the camshaft sprocket is the same on petrol and diesel engines ?

At least half the battle is won as I now know what went wrong.

I will keep you all informed as to my progress but I can see it being a long fight.

Regards

Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
deanf

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:01:07 am »

i have one if you need it also have a cam shaft and cam followers.
my email is deanfillingham@hotmail.com
regards dean
ross

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 10:36:24 pm »

well !  a lot has happened since my last post, and I now have a working Espace again.
I have managed to make 1 good cam sprocket from the 2 broken ones and salvaged a set of rockers from the 2 engines, reassembled the spare engine and refitted it into my Grande Espace.
The reason for the fitting of the spare engine was to be able to use the coded solenoid on the back of the diesel pump, without stripping both engines down to swap the pumps.
The use of the spare engine, with its pump has allowed me to also swap the complete electronics from the spare car to my Grande Espace, thus resolving a long running problem with the remote central locking on the Grande Espace.
I swapped the B11 board, Dashboard display and both ignition keys, and touch wood, it all seems to be working, with the exception of the parking of the rear wiper, as my Grande Espace has an opening rear window and the spare car hasn't.
I must admit that the spare Espace looks a little sad, as it has been canabalised, but if I can get hold of the bits I need to repair the engine I will try to get it back together, as I hate to see a perfectly sound car go to waste.
I hope my experience has been of some use to you readers, if only for the amusement value.
Regards
Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
renaultbiler

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 12:00:19 pm »

I swapped the B11 board, Dashboard display and both ignition keys, and touch wood, it all seems to be working, with the exception of the parking of the rear wiper, as my Grande Espace has an opening rear window and the spare car hasn't.

That issue is easily fixed next time you visit a dealer, just get them to reconfigurate the BII unit and tell it that its got and opening window!

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:12:45 pm »

Hi Ross

Great to hear you're back running again. I understand your feelings about the spare car. I hope you get it running again!

Thanks for sharing the good news Smiley

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: