| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New owner J63 V6 over heating problems  (Read 4186 times)
johnny and

« on: September 23, 2009, 02:37:39 pm »

Hi All
I have just bought an Espace from '91. its a 2,9 V6 and I'm having a problem with it.

It starts very well and sounds very healthy in the engine, but after 10 minutes or so it overheats. It feels as the thermostat opens but it doesn't seem as there if much flow in the system as the radiator do not get very warm Huh.
I reckon it is a faulty water pump or a block in the system. Is this a common fault on the V6 and if so - is it easy to change the pump.

I am a trained mechanic but I have never before worked on Renaults

Looking forward to your replies Smiley
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:22:07 am »

Hi Johnny, congratulations on the car and welcome to our forum!

I don't think Renaults are any different from other cars in this respect. You probably have a leak in your cooling system, which is probably the water pump as you suspect. No, I don't think it's a common fault on the V6 - no more than on all other engines. Pump bearings do wear out, and then they leak and cant keep pressure up. The lack of pressure is usually what's causing the boiling and overheating.

The water pumps on the Espace J63's are relatively easy to do since they are fitted on the front of the engine. Remove the radiator and you have easy access.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

/Anders

PS: I see you're in Denmark. Do you know my list of spares supliers (scroll down):
http://dinsen.net/espace/reservedele

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: