| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Keep a close eye on the condition of your cooling pipes  (Read 23782 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 06:40:03 pm »

About my "style", I never thought about it as no-compromise, but you are right.  Grin

So you've lerant something new today! Smiley
Good to hear the recovery is quick!

PS: I took the liberty to edit your post so the "/quote" tag is between my old post and your reply.

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 07:48:37 pm »

For those of you who wish to make new brackets I am including a drawing here. Also check the pictures in my previous posts in this thread for the actual manufacture. But here are the dimensions. I forgot to include the final length of the bracket after the bending. It should end up being appx. 175 mm long, and you start out with a strip of material 30 X 200 mm.

Have fun. It is not all that difficult Grin

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 02:23:56 pm »

The day finally arrived wher eI mounted the new stainless steel cooling pipes. (Pictures below.) They look nice, I think.  Grin

When mounting them I recommend that you attach the hoses to each pipe first, so they are suspended by the hose. This allows you to move them about and tighten the hose clamps with ease. There is only just enough clearance between the pipes to pull/push hoses and clamps onto the pipes, once they are mounted in the brackets. Trust me, I tried and the other method is much easier.

Once attached it is pretty simple to fix the pipes in the brackets. These have (of course) been refabricated in stainless steel and new stainless steel hose clamps procured. The new clamps are 12.7 mm wide and do not cut into the hose. Also, the "thread" is pressed into the clamps, which is better for the hose too. All bolts, washers and nuts are also stainless. Sweet  Grin Grin Grin

Finally I mixed new coolant and filled about 8-9 liters into the system. I used a vacuum cleaner to suck air out from the small hose that attaches to the top of the radiator, thus ensuring that it is completely filled. Next step (starting the engine) will have to wait until I get the shield back in the front and the battery re-connected.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:30:26 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

JV

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 09:30:56 pm »

Better than new!

Jan Verdam
Matra Murena 2.2S bleue columbia
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:14 pm »

Looks good John.
When you are under the car you can see if your hair is up to specs Grin

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 10:56:52 pm »

Looks good John.
When you are under the car you can see if your hair is up to specs Grin
It is,  though I can only take my sunglasses off for a few seconds at a time when under there.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 09:33:03 am »

On the rooooad again..... It's good to be on the rooooad again....  Grin Grin Grin

The day finally arrived. Cheesy I got all the parts put back together and cranked the engine up. I let it run until warm and I must have gotten most of the air out of the system, because it did not boil, spit or gargle.  Grin

After making sure it did not leak anywhere, I took it off the jack stands and drove around the block a few times. No problems, nice warm air from the heater, temp guage safely in normal range. Things look good, also literally. Those new pipes are sweet Cheesy

I highly recommend the switch to stainless. Considering how rusty I found mine to be, the original pipes are a disaster waiting to happen.

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 05:01:26 pm »

Excellent, Jon! Congratulations Cheesy

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2