| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: how do I press bushes out of trailingarm?  (Read 7840 times)
Oskar

« on: November 17, 2009, 06:50:26 pm »

anyone have some tip how to press them out from the rear arms?  Smiley

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 07:34:44 pm »

That is not easy, and you don't get them out in 1 piece.
The best way is to burn the rubber out and after that hack the bush to pieces with a hammer and a big screwdriver or something sharp.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:52:56 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:14:57 pm »

anyone have some tip how to press them out from the rear arms?  Smiley

If you have one of the bushings where there is a hole all the way through the rubber, I would take the blade off a hacksaw, stick it through the hole, mount it on the hacksaw again and then cut through the rubber and CAREFULY through the outher steel ring from the inside. Once you are through that it should be easy to push the bushing out, because it would shrink in diameter due to the cut.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 09:44:59 pm »

I find that the centre metal bush comes out fairly easily.  You can then cut through the rubber and the outer bush with a hacksaw or an air hacksaw with care.  Once you've sawn through the outer sleeve it will just tap out. 
Oskar

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 05:09:11 pm »

ok. so they will be destroyed.
if I got a tool with 32cm wide it should be possible to press it out without destroy it? 
and the follow up: how do you press it in?  ive found some shafts meassuring 32cm wide.

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:01:30 pm »

Length of threaded rod and two large sockets - one large enough for the bush to fit inside and the other the same diameter as the outer sleeve.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 06:07:17 pm »

If it is on the car for 25 years, forget pressing it out.
We couldn't get it out with a proffesional  press no matter how hard we tried.
Pressing it in is fairly easy with some grease and a press.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 09:37:00 am »

if I got a tool with 32cm wide it should be possible to press it out without destroy it? 
and the follow up: how do you press it in?  ive found some shafts meassuring 32cm wide.
In order to have any chance of pressing the bushing out, you must have a block for the housing to rest on, with a hole only slightly bigger than the bushing. On top, the piston must of course be slightly smaller than the bushing, but still ride solidly on the outer bushing ring.

Then, as you apply pressure, you must heat the housing, probably with a gas torch. Just don't melt the housing, or catch the rubber on fire. Wink

As the housing heats up it will expand and loosen its grip on the bushing, but only until the bushing also gets hot. So pressure, then heat, cool down and repeat.  Grin

Good luck. (you will need it) Grin Grin Grin

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oskar

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 05:05:10 pm »

In order to have any chance of pressing the bushing out, you must have a block for the housing to rest on, with a hole only slightly bigger than the bushing. On top, the piston must of course be slightly smaller than the bushing, but still ride solidly on the outer bushing ring.

Then, as you apply pressure, you must heat the housing, probably with a gas torch. Just don't melt the housing, or catch the rubber on fire. Wink

As the housing heats up it will expand and loosen its grip on the bushing, but only until the bushing also gets hot. So pressure, then heat, cool down and repeat.  Grin

Good luck. (you will need it) Grin Grin Grin

that sounds like a good one! the bushes are not 20years old. cant be more than a few years old at most. Ill hope I find some time tomorrow to try your method out Smiley   
hold your thumbs for me!

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: