| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: engine turns freely but will not fire, after rebuild. 2.2dt 1998  (Read 7498 times)
ESPACED

« on: August 31, 2008, 02:37:57 pm »

Hi some of you may remember me from my last post, i was rebuilding my engine ( new piston rings, shims, valves, preasure test head, etc.etc.)
I know its been a long time but this weekend I manged to put the engine back.. not easy on your own.. ( haven't put the face on yet just in case..)
engine spins freely but will not fire?Huh
I charged the battery up, so there lots of charge..
I 've checked that the gluw plugs are all connected etc..
when turning the engine for a couple of mins the oil light did come on??? i know theres oil as i have put 6 to 7 litres
I need help please , any ideas why she will not start, is there an easy way  i can check gluw plugs are working and the diesel is getting to the jets??
I really need some advise on what I need to check and do
thanks
Tony

johnbuz

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 04:23:39 pm »

Hi Tony

Just rebuilt a 2.2DCi  engine, I know not the same as yours, But same principle.

Check, and double check your timing, both the can timing and the injection timing. Your diesel injection pump needs to be timed to the engine, so the diesel gets injected at the right time. Sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but double check all your timing marks, it is so easy to get it wrong.

John
ESPACED

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:02:27 pm »

Hi John
thanks for the advise but the timing was spot on when the belt was put on.. unless it moved but Done think so..
any other ideas what it could be???
thanks
Tony
johnbuz

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:32:33 pm »

if the pulley driving the injection pump is not the same diameter as the cranshaft pulley, ie it goes round at either half or twice the cranks shaft revolutions then it is possible to have the timing out even thou all the marks line up.

been there and done that on another engine.

have you had the engine completely apart?

is there a timing sensor on the flywheel on this engine? if so did you put the flywheel back on so that the sensor pickup points are in the right place?

Have you checked to see if you have diesel being injected? loosen injector pipe at injector and crank, should get diesel everywhere (DO NOT DO THIS ON A DCi ENGINE) when you turn the engine over.

if you have compreesion and you have diesel being injected then it should start, have you got power to the cutoff valve on the injection pump? no power = no run

if all above ok then double check timing

john
ESPACED

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 10:22:26 pm »

Hi John,
thanks for your help, the problem was very simple Grin.......there was an air blockage in the diesel pipes and so no diesel was getting in to the injectors..
i know thats pretty foolish but i though there was diesel in the clear pipes..
i must need new glasses.. Cheesy

all is well and i'm quite happy with my self for getting it done.
 no i wouldn't do it again
many thanks again for your help and those who have given me advise in the past

best reagrds
Tony
fragmaster

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 06:13:49 pm »

just a silly thought. cause this happened to me after i changed a water pmp, rebuilt head and refitted timing belt afer it snapped.sit in car and lock doors with key and open again , then try cranking it. car goes  into some safety  mode if keys left in ignition and battery goes dead or something, i stripped my car down again before i found this out
regards frag
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: