| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2.2 cam cover  (Read 10427 times)
darrenheli

« on: November 27, 2009, 07:05:47 pm »

would any one be interested in an Politecnic alloy cam cover? good condition they are 320 Euro new
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:03:21 pm by darrenheli » Logged
lewisman

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 04:33:11 am »

I wouldn't pay that for a cosmetic part for the engine bay that no one would see....

If it gave me an extra 10% bhpit would be worth it though Cheesy
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:24:07 pm »

Reasonable price for piece like this (with only esthetic function) is max 50,-Eur...

GP
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 07:41:30 pm »

This is what the cam cover actually looks like. I know it is only cosmetic, but it does enhance the engine bay quite dramatically.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:44:40 pm by GP » Logged
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:51:59 pm »

I know it is only cosmetic, but it does enhance the engine bay quite dramatically.

I must agree - we adore our cars everytime we use them, so if one can afford it, cosmetic things like this are pleasing. Especially of course if one has the Politecnic tuning kit to match it :-)

Here is another, sharper picture of Graham's enginebay:
    http://www.sorth.dk/p/20090523/Med/20090523_121804.html

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 10:20:21 am »

This is what the cam cover actually looks like. I know it is only cosmetic, but it does enhance the engine bay quite dramatically.

I would like to know who made your stainless steel (or is it aluminium?) fueltank? Does it also extend behind the engine like the original? and how much fuel does it hold? Whoever made it did a nice job of welding. Cheesy

regards.
Jon.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:22:33 am by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Matranaut par excellence Cool
GP
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 12:28:10 pm »

I would like to know who made your stainless steel (or is it aluminium?) fueltank? Does it also extend behind the engine like the original? and how much fuel does it hold? Whoever made it did a nice job of welding. Cheesy

regards.
Jon.

Hi Jon,

The Aluminium Fuel Tank was fabricated by a local firm in the U.K. to me called Brise:     http://www.brise.co.uk/fabrications.html

It was fabricated using the drivers side, larger and deeper portion of an original plastic fuel tank as a pattern. Total width = 42cm. So it does not extend behind the engine at all, with a completely clear area in front and below the engine for the carburettors and a very large clear air flow from underneath. This tank gives me a 25 litre fuel capacity. Ideal for sprinting and hillclimbing competition.

See images for further details.

For installation it uses the original drivers side retaining strap, the original fuel level gauge assembly (with some bending and adjustments of the float arm) and all the original fuel filling hoses. An extra support bracket was attached to the new aluminium flange at the top for the fuel sender unit and bolted to the bulkhead ahead of it with some flexible bushes. I also have a roll over vent valve plumbed in (seen on the inner wheel arch at the top) as the tiny plastic vent valve at the filling point area could not cope with the fuel consumption and the tank would have imploded otherwise.

The weight of this tank is unknown to me, but very light. An original plastic tank with sender unit just weighed = 5.2kg

NB: I originally tried using a cut down original plastic fuel tank and having it professionally plastic welded over with the same material. This was installed but the welds all failed shortly after. You have never seen me run down the road so fast trying to get away!  Shocked

The problem was that the plastic was contaminated with the fuel residue. Even if the fuel tank is brand new I would not personnally recommend this procedure.

Cheers,

Graham

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:30:15 pm by GP » Logged
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 05:40:27 pm »

The problem was that the plastic was contaminated with the fuel residue. Even if the fuel tank is brand new I would not personnally recommend this procedure.
Thanks A LOT for that information!!...
Several people on this forum (ok.... I guess just.. Waldo and me) have considered modifying the plastic fuel tank.... but now I will drop that idea for sure.

Are there any "legal" issues attached to fitting a non standard fueltank in the UK?

ps: These last posts might be moved to the "Murena" part of the forum?
GP
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 06:25:41 pm »

Thanks A LOT for that information!!...
Several people on this forum (ok.... I guess just.. Waldo and me) have considered modifying the plastic fuel tank.... but now I will drop that idea for sure.

Are there any "legal" issues attached to fitting a non standard fueltank in the UK?

ps: These last posts might be moved to the "Murena" part of the forum?

No "legal" issues in the U.K. for fitting a non standard fuel tank that I am aware of.

As I weighed the plastic tank, I have already added my comments to the Murena parts weight topic. However if there is a more appropriate place for this information please go ahead.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: