| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: An easy way to make sure the sparkplug wires are firmly seated  (Read 5677 times)
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« on: December 14, 2009, 05:48:27 pm »

While I was playing with my cooling pipes, I also replaced the sparkplug wires. I had bought a set from Simons, but I found that the insulation was not up to specs. If I got too close to a wire it would zap me. So I have switched to a set with heavier silicon insulation, that I bought in Biltema.

As you all know it can be difficult to seat the cables firmly on the sparkplugs because they are located deep in the head. I therefore made the tool you see on the pictures below, from a spare piece of pipe, stainless of course  Cheesy (actually that was incidental, because the pipe was left over from a shoe rack that I modified)

If your sparkplug wires have a ridge on the insulation, like mine, then they are suited for this type of tool. On the first picture you see that I cut a slit in the pipe, only a bit wider that the thickness of the cable. At the bottom of the slit I bent the pipe in so it did not leave an edge that could cut into the cable. Smooth the edges and the tool is done.

Now I just slide the tool over the cable as you can see. The pipe pushes on the ridge and sticks about 8 cm out of the engine when pushing the cable onto the plug. I can now get a good firm push to seat the cable (and my hand is not in the way of the mirror, that can be necessary to hit the plug dead on.  Wink)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:52:25 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oskar

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:20:08 pm »

very clever  Smiley i remember how hard it could be when I had a 505 turbo (had 3 )

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 10:07:41 pm »

very clever  Smiley i remember how hard it could be when I had a 505 turbo (had 3 )

And how many of those cracked the cylinderheads? Wink
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:21:16 am »

I used to find the plug wires difficult to access, but not any more. Getting your hand in the right angle to get a good grip with your fingers around the rubber is the trick, I think. And take it easy, sometimes they stick. I wouldn't trust a tool as I'd be afraid of it slipping and damaging the wire.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: