| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ghost in the Machine  (Read 6169 times)
Bacchus

« on: December 17, 2009, 07:20:21 pm »

Hi, i've recently aquired a 2001 2.2 dci and would like to know if anyone has encountered the following problem - with the engine running, the wipers start to (click by click) work their way in slow steps across the windscreen, at the same time the drivers window starts to open - again in slow steps. So embarrassing !!!! I'd be most grateful for anyones advice. Many thanks
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 11:14:49 pm »

Hi, i've recently aquired a 2001 2.2 dci and would like to know if anyone has encountered the following problem - with the engine running, the wipers start to (click by click) work their way in slow steps across the windscreen, at the same time the drivers window starts to open - again in slow steps. So embarrassing !!!! I'd be most grateful for anyones advice. Many thanks

Do you mean it does both of these things at the same time?  And without operating any switches (wiper or window)?  You say with the engine running.  Does it not do this with the ignition only?  Does it do this immediately the engine is started up?  Every time?  Since the BII has a timer built in which controls the drivers door window (for 'one-touch' control), and the wipers for the timed sweeps, it sounds like a fault in either the BII and/or the wiring and/or connections.  Have you got a water leak in the passenger footwell?  Since the BII is under the floor on the left (RHD vehicle) if this is flooded (which I have see on more than one occasion), the water can cause all sorts of BII problems.

Roy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 11:21:27 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Bacchus

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:01:47 am »

Many thanks for the reply Roy. Maybe I didn't explain the problem fully - yes these both happen at the same time with both the ignition on, and engine running, and with no switches operated. Yet it only happens when the interior of the car is cold (it was minus 6 when I collected the car from Amsterdam - and it is a LHD). Once the interior warms up the problem ceases, I drove it over 800 km continuously with no problems at all just after I bought it, then it happened again the following morning in the UK, so I sensed it was something to do with a short, or condensation caused by the cold/damp conditions. Your diagnosis of it being the BII (what exactly does this stand for???) seems spot on. I havn't had chance to check for any water leak, the car went straight in for a service with a Merc trained technician, but I'm not sure he would suss this problem out. I look forward to your reply and again, thank you.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:06:37 am by Bacchus » Logged
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 05:07:38 pm »

Many thanks for the reply Roy. Maybe I didn't explain the problem fully - yes these both happen at the same time with both the ignition on, and engine running, and with no switches operated. Yet it only happens when the interior of the car is cold (it was minus 6 when I collected the car from Amsterdam - and it is a LHD). Once the interior warms up the problem ceases, I drove it over 800 km continuously with no problems at all just after I bought it, then it happened again the following morning in the UK, so I sensed it was something to do with a short, or condensation caused by the cold/damp conditions. Your diagnosis of it being the BII (what exactly does this stand for???) seems spot on. I havn't had chance to check for any water leak, the car went straight in for a service with a Merc trained technician, but I'm not sure he would suss this problem out. I look forward to your reply and again, thank you.

I was a Renault RTE and worked on these vehicles at a main dealer and like most modern cars they are fairly complex electronically.  The BII is the internal main computer that controls many of the cars functions and liaises with other computers via high speed multiplex wiring.  As your car is LHD it should be under the floor on the right hand side which is your passenger side.  These vehicles have an independent cabin heater that operates when the outside temperature is very low (less than 5 degrees IIRC) and the engine coolant is below 85 degrees and since your problem only occurs when cold this might be involved in some way (crossed circuits) but it still suggests some wiring or computer fault.  I was also a Merc technician before working for Renault and I can tell you that I would not have understood the Renault as they are so different and their diagnostic equipment is also much different.  So unless they have changed since I was there, I'm afraid you need to get it checked by a Renault dealer to see what fault codes are coming up.  As it needs to be cold, you would need to leave it overnight so they could experience the problem and check it while cold.

I have never come across this before, but if you do take it to a Renault dealer, ask to speak to their RTE to explain the problem directly - not through anyone else where the facts may get changed/distorted or be simply incorrect.  We always tried to speak directly with customers and that was part of the function of the RTE.

Roy
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:09:59 pm by roy4matra » Logged

renaultbiler

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:38:54 pm »

Ive seen such behaviour from the BII unit before, but then it was the outside temp and engine configuration that became messed up each time the car was cold. Reconfigurated it and it was okay until next time when it was cold.
I would assume you have a faulty processor inside the BII unit, and if it was my call i would take out the BII and instrument cluster (both!) and send it to bba-reman.co.uk for repair. That fixed the mentioned car!
That is also the cheapest attempt as i doubt this kind of fault will show with diagnostics equippment, you will end up with a diagnostics bill and no definitive fault statements.

You could in theory have a faulty earth connection or something like that, but the history of the BII unit faults and instrument cluster faults -and problems occurring in low temperature -i would say its a faulty prosessor.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: