| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cylinder head  (Read 6117 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« on: January 12, 2010, 10:47:11 pm »

I thought I'd share a few photos of my repaired and ported cylinder head. I've only just received it, and the work done with it is way over what I planned, but it sure looks potent, and I'm having all kinds of interesting thoughts about how to best use it on the car.

It has been prepared by FT Tuning in Svedala in Southern Sweden. He's repaired some corrosion to the water channels, but then went on giving it the full treatment. Look at the details - there's nothing potruding into the ports and no edges:

http://gallery.dinsen.net/v/biler/Matra/technical/engine/soupedhead/

Or just enjoy this view of the combustion chambers:

/Anders
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:49:22 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:11:34 am »

I thought I'd share a few photos of my repaired and ported cylinder head. I've only just received it, and the work done with it is way over what I planned, but it sure looks potent, and I'm having all kinds of interesting thoughts about how to best use it on the car.

It has been prepared by FT Tuning in Svedala in Southern Sweden. He's repaired some corrosion to the water channels, but then went on giving it the full treatment. Look at the details - there's nothing potruding into the ports and no edges:

/Anders

That looks so nice.  Cheesy
Is that a spare head, or do you have your engine disassembled right now?

I am curious about the apparent beveling of the edge of the combustion chambers. Is that new and if so does that not lower the compression by increasing the volume of the chamber?

/Jon
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:40:42 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Matranaut par excellence Cool
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:38:12 pm »

How much did you end up paying ?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 10:46:32 pm »

No it is a spare cylinder head I have. It was corroded, as I mentioned, so it has been welded, but was without cracks, which is good since experience with repairing cracks is not good. This one should be perfect now.

I have a spare engine block sitting here, so I was thinking - should I mate this head with an even hotter cam, 45 carbs, forged pistons, polished conrods etc - and build myself a really high performance engine? But now, I'm thinking I'll have to try this head on my engine as it is with the Holbay cam and the DCOE40's - and see what I can get out of it. After all, building a complete engine could take me a few years (at least... Wink ) and this nice cylinder head would then just sit in a corner waiting for the rest of the project, whereas swapping cylinder heads should only take a day, or two if I decide to take the engine out of the car. I might as well, as that would allow me to cure a few oil leaks.

The bevelling of the combustion chambers is also found on the standard cylinder head. The edges have been rounded though. I'll have to check compression, as the combustion chamber has been polished inside. From factory, it has a sharp edge between inlet and exhaust, which has been removed, increasing volume slightly. The head has been skimmed, though, so it probably turns out okay, but I'll check.

Price - well due to the fact that the work done with the head was far more than I anticipated and we agreed on, I got a good reduction from the roughly 7000 DKK he asked for it. A fair price, though, given the amount of work carried out.

I've taken a few more photos. Check out how the exhaust ports have been detailed in this photo, for example:
http://gallery.dinsen.net/v/biler/Matra/technical/engine/soupedhead/DSC_4788.JPG.html

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 01:57:08 am »

Nice job Anders.
I am also busy to find enough parts to create a spare engine.
Will take some time, but no hurry, my engine is still o.k.
Found 2 heads, one for a Tagora with a Murena camshaft and one for Murena with nicasil coated valves and a 505 turbo camshaft.
The Tagora head needs 2 extra bushes welded for engine-mount.
Both look in very good shape.

The turbohead comes from a Murena with cooling problems.

This engine was stil running with this piston.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: