| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Identified big power steering leakage. How do I access the  (Read 6011 times)
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« on: January 17, 2010, 01:46:46 pm »

Hi Gents.  

Last week my power steering failed. It was a quite massive leakage causing the problem. I have now identified the leakage and to my joy it seems to be a pipe connection (See attached photo) which is leaking. A 16mm spanner fit on the pipe connection nut, and from below I can just excatly fit the spanner, but there are no room for movements, so I can't attempt to tighten it? Do any of you guys know how to access this connection? Do I need a special spanner? Could the steel pipe be cracked so tightning could be useless?  Advice would be very much appreciated.

Best Regards
Bo
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:48:59 pm by Sommerby » Logged

Best Regards
Bo
ross

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:43:24 pm »

Hi Bo,  Just read your tale of woe, and it reminded me of the trouble I had with the power steering pipes on my 2.2 dt. Your photo is a little blurred, in the vital area, but it must be the main connections into the rack, where the 2 "U" shaped ali pipes fit. As I remember it, when I was trying to release the pipes on my rack, with a short open ended spanner, the nut and the pipe went around together as they were corroded into one. If you have fluid comming out between the nut and the pipe you should be ok to try and tighten the nut, but if the fluid is comming out of the thread, then take care, as you can twist the ali pipe very easily. I was removing the engine from my car, at the time, so access was not such a problem, but just be carefull as the pipes cost a fortune from Renault.
My best guess to gain more room between the rear of the engine and the rack is to remove the tie rod, and maybe release the exhaust joint, to allow the engine to swing forward.
Best of luck.   
Regards, Ross

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:44:29 pm »

Many thanks for your reply, Ross.
Yes it's the main connector which is leaking.  I believe that I have been very lucky.  I managed to tighten it a tiny bit and now after 24 hours, it seems that the power steering fluid is still at the same level. Time will show if its 100% tight :-)

Best Regards
Bo
jack daniels

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:42:51 pm »

If it turns out that the leak is still there then it may be the aluminium hydraulic tube which acts like a sacrificial anode and just corrodes away. The return tube out of my steering rack was very pitted right under the retaining nut. I couldn't see it at first, due to innsufficient lighting probably, so I changed the o-ring several times to no avail. The steering system got a good flush out anyway, about 6 liters probably.
After the whole hose was removed the corrosion became visible in the sunlight.  In the photo, it's mid way between the thread and the tube flange.
  I tried to source a fitting that matched the thread in the rack hoping to seal it with a dowty seal or loctite, and then a 12mm tube fitting, however the rack seems to have its own special parallel thread, slightly larger than 1/4" BSP.
  A new hose for 270 euro did the trick.   A 16mm hex. ring spanner with a cutout was all that I used.

by the way, the supply tube was also corroded where it sits in a plastic tube clamp on the bottom of the radiator. So it's probably a good idea to clean that up and coat it in coppaslip or your favourite preservative.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:04:11 pm by jack daniels » Logged

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 01:49:24 pm »

Many thanks for your reply and the illustrations, Jack Daniels
It seems that I have been lucky. No sign of leakage so far :-)
But, living in one of the, corrosion wise, worst possible inviroments, I will consider to protect the pipe ends.

Best Regards
Bo

Best Regards
Bo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: