| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Forum changes  (Read 10528 times)
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« on: May 11, 2006, 01:04:17 am »

After having had the dubious honour of having the forum spraypainted with junk messages (using a known vulnerability in the old software) I have now upgraded to a much newer version, and taken steps to secure it further.

The reason I hadn't done so some time ago was that I had problems getting my "calm" theme ported. I have something working now, but you may spot the occational stupidity (black text on dark blue background etc? :-) ) - please tell me where, and I'll attempt to fix it.
(I am aware of the message-icon and selector-boxes  when you post, will fix asap)

Its a huge mess , some things are now in clean theme files with templates, but some of it is in the stylesheet, and then again, some is still hardcoded in the sources ...

One thing I haven't been able to fix is the message sorting, - in the old forum we ended up with the newest post first, but I cannot figure out how to do this with the new forum, - so for the time being, newest post is at the bottom.

and since most forums actually do it this way, I might even leave it like that. - It may only be my old (and lazy) brain that really liked the reverse sorting. (?)

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 11:05:55 am »

Well saved!
I didn't notice the spam until the forum was done.

There seems to be a character set difference between the old and new, we ahve at least one member with an e-apostrophe in his ID and it doesn't display (coupéspace). Also posts with special characters are displaying oddly (see bagheera forum)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 11:08:29 am by dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Will Falconer

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 02:00:24 pm »

Thank you Lennart for getting it fixed so quickly.

I feel out of touch without the forum, and the email based one seems to be getting quieter all the time.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 10:27:39 pm »

Under my profile, I can switch to seeing most recent post first - so maybe there's also a default for the site?

Under profile editing, there are several dropdowns and input boxes with black text on dark blue. Need I say it's hard to read? Wink
Help (e.g. on time format), however, is brighter: White text on white background.

Also: The pictures people have posted are gone Sad
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:45:50 pm by dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 08:06:04 pm »

Under my profile, I can switch to seeing most recent post first
Yes, but I just haven't  refound the site-wide setting yet. I am sure it can be done, but thinking back, I think I made the site-wide change through a manual database hack.

Need I say it's hard to read? Wink
hehe
I will have a look :-)

Also: The pictures people have posted are gone Sad
Well spotted, -  the idiot attacking the forum made sure to wreck as much havoc as possible - including deleting all files the forum could access by itself :-(

BUT I keep a copy of the site on the spare server - so I have resurrected the files from there. There are likely some still missing, but this is the best I can do.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 09:30:13 pm by Lennart » Logged

Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 09:04:47 pm »

I think I have replaced the black-on-darkblue with something more readable now Smiley

Regarding the attachments, it turns out that the new software keeps the attachments referenced in the database, whereas the old software simply had the files in a directory - and even if I upgraded gently, from major version to major version (rather than one large jump), this has not been fixed.

However, - there were only about 30-40 attachemnts, so I have instead moved the files to:  http://www.matrasport.dk/attachments  - then you can either browse that dir, or modify your old posts, to include a new attachment.

of course, I could also locate all posts with attachments and reimport the attachment manually, - BUT I am very busy putting my socks in colourorder, so sorry, no time  :-)

On a much more serious side, I will much rather pour myself a large Islay whisky after this upgrade-ordeal.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: